Selected PWS Precip Data correct but not reflected properly in the App

@Rightbundle If you have URL links to the missing data I can forward to Aeris (our weather provider) so they can determine why the data did not get mapped over.

:cheers:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?last=24&call=EW3498

Latest from Aeris…

Franz,

Working with the team, the issue with this station is that its sending precip as Local time since midnight. Our system does support this, but unfortunately, NOAA is not including this value for APRSWXNET/CWOP stations.

I have attached a sample export of of the Precip since Local Midnight we are receiving, and you will notice it does not include APRSWXNET as a source.

Our team is in contact with NOAA / MADIS to see why this value is not being included within the feed.

I will update this ticket as we correspond with NOAA on this issue.

AerisWeather Support
http://support.aerisweather.com/

1 Like

@stonecliff

Latest from Aeris…

Franz,

This stations is sending both last 24 hours of precip and precip since local midnight.

We would normally use precip since local midnight, but as mentions in a separate ticket, NOAA is not currently sending this value for any APRSWXNET / CWOP stations.

Our team is reviewing the potential corrections using only the 24 hour precip.

AerisWeather Support
http://support.aerisweather.com/

Great feedback. Much obliged. Hopefully this results in a general improvement for a great product.

I am assuming my issue is the same as the other two above ?

I’m thinking this never got resolved, as it happened again with a recent rainstorm.

Here is the rain as reported by the station referenced above:

And here is the rain as reported on the Iro:

As before, the storm crossed midnight, and the rain is getting double-counted by the Iro. Here is the detail for that storm:

Given the volume of water, this is going to seriously screw up my schedule (it’s 3-5 days of evapotranspiration).

Any chance this is going to get fixed? I have limited ability to keep it from raining at midnight…

Thanks.

@stonecliff I’ve pinged our weather provider again, will let you know the current state of this issue.

@stonecliff I believe the fix for this CWOP station will be available next week (July 5th).

Franz,

NOAA has related that the Local since midnight data set for CWOPS will not be available in the immediate future. So for this stations we will be limited to using the 24 hour precip.

That said, the team has applied some updates for stations which wrap the 24 hour precip across the next day (localized) and for stations that report the 24 hour precip for the previous day on their first interval of the next day. Additionally, the team has integrated the estimated precip based on the radar/gauge analyzed data. The team has been testing these on our internal staging platform and are scheduled to push to production Tuesday July 5th.

With this update the issue with the 24 hour precip should be corrected, additionally, the radar/gauge estimated data that is in 2.5km resolution will be available with the observations/summary data. I will provide another update on Tuesday once the ingest and observation/summary updates have been applied.

Just checking back to see if they have corrected the issue.

It may be one day too soon, depending on when they pushed the update, but the same behavior was still there on July 5th. The Iro shows 0.51 inches on July 5:

While the actual data from the station is 0.38":

If only it didn’t rain at midnight…

@stonecliff I’ll followup with Aeris to see if this was released to their production environment or not.

@stonecliff Tomorrow the update will be pushed.

That said, on the updates scheduled for yesterday, they were postponed due to a couple bugs found in staging over the fourth weekend. They have been corrected but needed additional testing. We have confirmed they are ready to push to production, but now NOAA has upgraded the severe weather potential to Moderate this afternoon. Because of this we have a lock on updates to the production API to ensure no outage during a severe event and due to increased volume.

Our team has rescheduled the production push for 6am CT (4am PT) tomorrow. There should be no schedule downtime with this update.

This update will add the analyzed precip estimate which can be used in cases where a station precipitation may not be available.

AerisWeather Support