Run Multiple Zones At Once

@azbob, no the Rachio 3 will not support this due to electrical limitations. Out of curiosity, why do you want to run two zones at once?

@calif_ken thanks for the suggestion. Lighting is an interesting use for the controller. We don’t have any plans to support this in the near future.

I want to run multiple zones simultaneously because I have 15 zones, drip irrigation in AZ, for trees and plants. Because each zone runs between 1-4 hours, there are times when two zones may have to run concurrently. Additionally, I check the zones weekly by turning one on at a time. If I do this when two zones are already running automatically, there would be 3 zones running concurrently. My old Irritrol controller handled this with no problem. I had to buy 2 of your controllers to get around your limitation and jump through hoops to set the schedules. It is a pain and it makes my life more difficult. I have been asking you to fix this for 2 years with no result.

1 Like

I understand your desire and need for this; however, this is a residential controller. Step up to high end commercial smart controllers and you can do this. But the cost is at least $2,000. Examples include WeatherTrak or Rainmaster Eagle Plus.

1 Like

My previous residential controller did this. My understanding is that a number of residential controllers do it. It is not uncommon.

@azbob, thanks for the additional comments. Do the two controllers you currently setup handle all of your zones? Assuming you have enough pressure to water multiple zones at once, a work around might be to double up your zones (assuming you don’t have a master valve or use the WaterHammer feature). This would allow you to schedule your entire system on one controller and sell the extra controller. Alternatively, you could run both controllers at once to help shorten your overall watering duration.

If neither of these solutions work for you, let’s help you find a controller that will better meet your needs. In full transparency, we don’t plan to support this feature in the near future as commercial grade hardware will need to be developed.

If you have 2 zones with the same watering needs, they can both be wired to the same terminal on the controller, and both will receive identical watering schedules.

The think that determines if there will be enough current in the wire going to valves to open and close more than one valve at a time is determined by the length of the wire, and the wire size (diameter). If you find the wire size you currently have is causing too much voltage drop to activate both valves simultensously, you can run another wire in parallel to the existing wires to carry more current to the valve, OR, you can replace the existing wire to the valves with a larger guage wire.

You should have a pressure regulator on your irrigation system, so the pressure hitting the valves is around 70 psi. These valves are not designed for high pressures, and without a pressure regulator, you may experience difficulty in getting the valves to open OR experience early failure of the valves.

1 Like

My two rachio controllers (one each of the generation 1 and 2) handle all of my 14 drip irrigation zones in Arizona, spread out over 1 acre of property. These are broken out into 6 watering groups. These 6 groups have the following number of zones: Pots -1; Courtyard plants -1; Cyprus trees -1; Citrus trees and Patio plants - 2; Plants - 4; Trees - 6. I am on city water with a pressure regulator set to 60 pounds max. and have enough water pressure to run 3 zones concurrently. That is what my previous Irritrol Total Control controller did quite well. I do not have a master valve or use the WaterHammer feature. Even if I were to double up my zones, there are times that the different groups would need to water concurrently. After discovering the limitation of your controller by happenstance (and troubleshooting with your tech support over a month’s time), I had to buy a second Rachio controller, calculate how to split out the zones between them and create convoluted watering schedules. This allows me to run two zones (groups) concurrently. Throughout the year, the frequency of watering changes, while the length of each watering remains constant. I check 1/4 of the irrigation system weekly, in round robin fashion, so the entire system is checked monthly. This requires turning zones on manually. The Rachio app on my phone makes this much easier. But, it also means I have to be careful when I check. I cannot check zones that are on a controller that is currently running according to a scheduled period.

emil,
My ask is to change your software so it allows two (or more) zones to run at the same time. It is as simple as that. I don’t understand why are you saying “commercial grade hardware” will need to be developed?

he says that because the controller will have to output a good bit of current. in the most maximum setup, it would have to output enough current for a master vale, the zone and 2 sensor ports. thats a good bit of current right there. now throw one N number of additional zones…its a lot

1 Like

Check the manufacturer catalog for valve pressure ranges. Figuring pressure loss through the meter, backflow and pipe, 70 psi is fine for gear drive rotors. I like using Hunter PGV valves and installing a Hunter AccuSync on the valve. Hunter’s Pro Spray PRS 30 provide reliable pressure regulation at the head. Rain Bird 1800 PRS heads provide unreliable pressure regulation.

@plainsane - also don’t forget if the user has the water hammer reduction feature turned on the unit will have all the valves from the first set of zones running when it starts the second set of zones. That is why Rachio says they can support three solenoids at one time - master valve, first solenoid getting ready to be turned off and second solenoid that was just turned on for the next zone.

1 Like

Can you double up the wiring for 2 zones in the Rachio Controller? Would that open both valves when the station(s) kicks on ?

@DavidGPope - Rachio states that they can power three solenoids at one time with their power supply. Yes, there are users who have doubled up solenoids on one zone and Rachio powers both of them. But do count - master valve or pump start relay if in the system as it will be active along with the prior zone if the reduce water hammer option is selected.

One just needs to make sure the water supply can provide enough pressure/volume for both zones to operate.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks DLane! I won’t be doing it because we don’t have enough water pressure to push open all the sprinkler heads.

2 Likes

Changing the transformer to one with more watts, yet keeping it at 24 volts, will allow more solenoids to run at the same time. The issue is the software that prevents overlapping zone schedules. Some clients have adequate pump and supply to allow simultaneous operation. The variable speed flow pumps are great for multi valve installations.

Hello, I too could really use the ability to run multiple zones at the same time. I have a well that puts out quite a bit of water volume/pressure and need to run multiple zones at the same time (different watering lengths) so the demand keeps the pump from cycling excessively. Excessive cycling causes premature pump failure. I have done this in the past by combining 2 valves on the same zone but invariably one area gets watered too much or too little. Another great benefit to not wiring 2 valves to one zone is during sprinkler maintenance I can walk around the yard and turn only one zone on at a time with the phone app while I work on sprinklers and not have it saturate the part of the lawn watered by the other valve. This is much preferred to turning on/off individual areas manually at the valve (a lot of walking back and forth and getting wet…)

I’ve been reading the company is concerned about too many valves being energized a time. An easy fix for this would be logic in the software that only allows for any combination of 3 valves to be operating at a time (1 zone + master + pump or 2 zones + master or 3 zones only / etc). The software knows if the configuration includes a master valve or pump relay so keeping track of total circuits energized would be easy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I agree this is definitely a feature that clients want. Please add the ability to run overlapping schedules even if it is an additional setting you have to check and confirm that you have purchased a larger power supply. Would be very helpful.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have been asking for this feature for 2 years. I still do not understand why it has not been implemented.

I’m jumping on the bandwagon. Even started an account to do so. I’m in the desert with a 16 zone gen 3. There is not enough time in the day to supply the 16 zones without dripping at the hottest part of the day.

I have been using my Rachio for a little over a year now and really like it. Being able to monitor my system and manage schedules remotely are incredible features. I recently became aware of a new requirement for my system that caused me to update my schedule. I created a couple of new schedules but I was pretty sure they weren’t working. I looked into it and they weren’t so I did a little research and found this thread. I am a little disappointed at Rachio for having this feature in their Inbox for over two years now and not doing anything about it.

I am going to provide them with an absolute requirement for this feature. This is now a showstopper for me. If Rachio won’t implement this feature (from what I understand the hardware will support it), I will have no choice but to replace my Rachio controller with one from a competitor that does have this feature.

I live in a neighborhood on a shared irrigation system. The HOA has so many shares which equate into GPM. There is a limiter on the main line which limits the volume of supplied water to about 35 GPM at 120 PSI.

The HOA recently notified all of the residents that we would each get a single 90 minute block per day alternating between morning and afternoon on odd/even days. The purpose of this is to make sure that each resident can get the water they need. If more than one resident is watering at the same time, each will get less than needed.

I have six grass zones that need to be watered every day. Four of the zones are large and need at least 25 minutes to really get them the water they need. The other two zones are small and could easily get away with 10 minutes each. That is 110 minutes and I only have 90 to work with. I easily have enough GPM to water two zones at the same time.

Having the ability to turn on two zones at the same time is a must have feature for me. Yes, I understand I could wire the controller so it can turn on two zones at the same time but that seems really silly when this is a simple software change that there are other competing products that provide this feature.

I would appreciate it if Rachio would respond to this thread and explain the business/technical reasoning behind not providing this feature. The last reply from Rachio on this thread appears to be from April of last year so apparently this doesn’t seem to be an important feature for them. If I don’t hear anything back, I will assume this is the case and will look elsewhere for a solution.