Rachio Smart Weather predictions in Mexico!

Hi there, Im interested on adquiring a Rachio since seems to be the best Smart controller on the market and I found directly on Amazon.

My main concern is that since Im outside US the weather prediction will not work properly, Do you know if this could be a trouble?

Thanks in advance

Pretty much it depends on the accuracy of the personal weather stations around you and how close they are to you. Worst case scenario you can always put up your own weather station to resolve any accuracy issues.

Thanks a lot Brett, Is good to know that there could be a back up plan! Definitely I will adquire one!

Regards

1 Like

@behemoth84 - check out pwsweather.com and see if there are weather stations near where you will be installing the Rachio that report precipitation, temperature and wind - as some weather stations don’t report precipitation. If the weather station that is selected for Rachio to use in determining whether to irrigate or skip a cycle doesn’t report conditions accurately it will impact the performance Rachio (either under or over watering). A personal weather station can mitigate that, but good data will require a proper site (i.e. no wind or rain shadow) and periodic maintenance or checking (e.g. rain sensor is clogged so it under reports, etc.).

1 Like

Let us know if you need any help when you get it @behemoth84!

One other tip- because you are international, you will not be able to use Flex Monthly Schedules or the Seasonal Shift feature.

Thank you @Dlane your feedback has helped me a lot, I actually review and there is no a weather station, nowIm researchig how to set up my own.

1 Like

Like the initial question, I am interested on using Rachio in Mexico. I found a whether station about 5 miles, so I think that will work. Isn’t it,? You also mention that because I will be International I will not be able to use flex schedule. Does that mean that a better option for me is Rachio 2 or Rachio 3e?

Rachio 2 controllers are no longer made, although you can buy them used. Rachio 3 controllers use Weather Underground personal stations, rather than PWSWeather.com stations mentioned above. The main difference, to me, with the 3 vs the 3e is the 3 has more upgraded Weather Intelligence features and future upgradeability, which I think you will want.

To check for personal weather stations in your area, go to Mexico City PWS, then use the map to zoom and move around to your location, to see if there are any PWSs near you. If you’re near a larger city, there no doubt will be, or use the one 5 miles from you, that’s not too bad. But you can see if there’s one closer to you using the map.

Oh, BTW, the only value used from your specific PWS is rainfall; the rest comes from stations in your area, so you’re not losing that much if you don’t have a (close) PWS.

As to not using Flex Daily, hopefully someone from Rachio can confirm or deny that; hopefully they’ve extended their database to include live weather in Mexico as well.