Rachio 3 - Wireless Rain Sensor Issue

Installed my Rachio 3 today and connected my prexisitng Irritrol rain sensor. Everything seems to work fine except that I’ve received a half dozen notifications that the sensor has activated and then deactivated the Rachio. It had rained the night before but I don’t understand why it would turn on and off during the day without any rain. Issue with the rain sensor or Rachio or other explanation?Thank you.

2 Likes

That usually is due to wiring or maybe a rain sensor that needs cleaning/maintenance.

Here is an article with Irritrol wireless wiring:

This article explain some troubleshooting tips for cleaning/maintenance:

:cheers:

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. As for the wiring, I followed the instructions from your first link so I assume it is correct. As for cleaning or maintenance, I can’t advise as the sensor is high up on a gutter on my roof. I will see what happens when we get a dry spell.

1 Like

@franz -After the 8th activation/deactivation notification in the first day, I’ve decided to turn off the sensor in the app until I can get a tall ladder and reach the sensor to take it apart and clean it. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

I too am having issue with rain sensor. I have a Hunter Mini-Clik sensor which is hardwired to controller. SC and S1 connections. The unit is new and tested with Resistance meter for NC switch setup. I think the new controller has some issues or the software. Need some tech support.

Hey @Bgman-

Can you post photos of your wiring? That would be helpful in diagnosing this issue.

@Loganrun are you having issues with a Rachio 3 or a Gen 2 controller? Wiring photos would be helpful here too.

McKynzee :rachio:

1 Like

![6020|281x499](upload://tF21I2zXlWQC9gHiGZ9hlWZiWuQ.jpg)

@Loganrun Move that black wire to 24 VAC - and you should be good.

More information here --> https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003078653-How-do-I-install-a-wired-sensor-with-Rachio-3-

1 Like

@timber - I’m experiencing the same problem and thought that my rain sensor needs to be cleaned. Could it be a wiring issue as well? I wired as per the FAQ and the picture below.

@Bgman can you post a picture of your setup? Just helps to see the actual wires.

@timber - Here you go.

Hey @Bgman-

Two guesses here:

1. Try switching those red wires- maybe there is a chance they got mixed up?
  2. Your rain sensor may just need cleaning. How long have you had it?

McKynzee :rachio:

1 Like

@mckynzee - Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing about the red wires as the diagram notes red (a) and red (b) and I was unsure if there was a difference in which red wire I chose (as they are not marked). I will switch them up and let you know if that does the trick. If not, I guess the only other cause could be a dirty sensor (it was replaced about 5 years ago and has never been cleaned - never knew I had to). Thanks.

1 Like

@mckynzee - That solution worked! Who knew there was a difference between the red wires? Thanks.

1 Like

I to have a Rachio 2nd gen with a Hunter mini click wired rain sensor that is only 2 years old. Last year, it worked perfectly, this year I’m getting the same issue as Loganrun snapped a picture of - “rain sensor activated” , “rain sensor deactivated” up to 4 to 5 times. I know its not the wiring, because it worked fine last year and its a fairly new unit only 2 years old. I really think its a software issue since so many of us are getting the problem

After properly wiring my rain sensor I haven’t had any further power cycles.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Rachio 3 Rain Sensor Wiring, activating/de-activating