Rachio 3 Pump Start Function

This is the 5 hp pump

Good to know it is on within the app. When you turn a zone on, do you hear the PSR click from the relay? Do you have a multimeter that you can check voltages? in other words, when the pump should be on, you should see the 24VAC and should see the 120VAC on both ends. When the pump should be off, you should not see the 24 and only one place with 120. Of course, you should always be careful around especially the higher voltage.

Looking at the pump lawn controller wiring diagram, it says the largest motor is a 3hp. Could that be the problem? When I ordered the MPSR242W22 it clearly stated that it was compatible with a 5 HP.

Possibly. When I looked at the spec for that model, it does say 5 HP.

After checking power with the multimeter, I always have power going out the pump whether rachio is on or off. I have power on all 5 black wires at all times.

That does not sound right. How about the 24 VAC?

24VAC is working correctly. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. This is really frustrating and I hope I didn’t burn up the motor. Not sure what to do now.

The new relay you’ve bought, requires both L1 and L2 terminals to have power, you currently have only one leg of the relay powered. This is likely why the pump is not turning on, contactor within the startbox is not getting the power it needs.

Since the two boxes (start relay & the capacitor box) are nearby, you can simply run a new wire from one of the L2 terminal of the capacitor box (could be L1, not sure which is missing from start relay) and connect it to L2 terminal within the start relay box.

Alternately you’ll have to terminate the second power wire at L2 input within the start relay and run a new wire to the capacitor box where said wire used to connect to.

Gene,
Thanks for the information. Would I be able to move the wire from the T1 slot (relay box) and place it at L2 (relay box)?

No, moving the wire from T1 to L2 will not solve the problem, since when the relay is active wire currently connected to T1 should be shorted to L1 terminal, thus there will be no voltage potential between L1 and L2 terminals and you are back to square one.

Try finding where the wire from T1 goes to in the capacitor box (is it L1 or L2 terminal)? You can run a new small wire from the other terminal to L2 within the relay box and that should fix the problem.

That worked! Thanks again for everyone’s help. I really do appreciate it!

I have installed a 3/4 hp booster pump for use with my My Rachio 3, 12 station unit. I have used these units in the past and I am familiar with their operation for the most part. The low voltage wires of the relay are connected to M (for motor) and C (for common) and have been setup in the device setup menu. When I tested this installation the pump relay was not activated. I then disconnected the two wires from C & M and tested the unit for voltage. I was surprises to find that there was 25.4 volts constantly. The 25.5 volts is present whether I have the Rachio 3 set for use with a pump or not. It is still present wether I am running a valve or not. It show 25.3 volts full-time. If I cycle the unit (run a valve and stop the valve) I will see a momentary ‘hick-up’ in the 25.3 voltage but it is still there full-time. I can only assume that there is something wrong with the Rachio 3 because in past experience the ‘24’ volts AC should come on while running the pump and then go off when not running the pump. Can you please advise me as to what I might do next? Other than this please know how impressed I am with your product line but the season is upon us now and must get this running very soon. I look forward to you reply.

I believe ‘M’ actually stands for “Master valve/pump” as it can be used for either, but that is not that important. Which relay are you trying to use?

I have 2 units to choose from: The Hunter Pump Start Relay PSR-22 or the Orbit unit that Rachio recommends. However, at this point I am still wondering if the Rachio 3 unit is supposed to show 24 volts all of the time even if nothing is connected to the unit but a multimeter at C & M.

By the way, thank you for your speedy reply.

Also, the Rachio 24V power supply that was included with the Rachio 3 timer will cycle either of these pump relays when it is used a simple power supply to trigger them. It seems as though the Rachio’s 24V output for the Master valve or pump might somehow be stuck in the ON position. I had this happen once before and it was disastrous. The timer closed the valve when it was supposed to but the 24 volts from “M” stayed on so the pump burned up and actually started a small grass fire. I have since learned that it is well worth it to install a motor monitor that will shut it down in the event of dead-heading or loss of water. This is why I am concerned about any issue related to the pump motor feature.

I personally use the Hunter, but believe the specs might be a little high for the Rachio. However, I use mine for a water feature that is only on every once in a while. I believe the Orbit has lower draw for the Rachio.

Although I do not use it this way, the “M” should turn on only when a zone is running if enabled in the app. I would try disabling it and see what happens. If it is simply always on, you may need to contact support.

That’s interesting. I am a consumer who purchased the Munro SmartBox as recommendation on your website the only PSR that has been tested to be safe. I have an orbit PSR as you describe installed. I was going to switch them today. It is probably the correct one. Maybe it will work. My system was struck by lightning. So I don’t know what still works properly.
I am not interested in damaging anything.

Here is the google search by - rachio PSR which type - to see the comment on the site.
:slight_smile: Mimi