Rachio 3 - Not Connecting to Cloud - third light blinking

I’m having this issue as well. I emailed support, but is there a way I can resolve this myself?

@smeiste It looks like your controller was connected to the cloud last week.

Can you try a WiFi reset to try and get it back online?

:cheers:

I’ve tried resetting the WiFi router several times. I’ve also tried unplugging the unit and plugging it back in again. that did not help either.

oh wait… you mean on the unit itself… ha. let me try that… :slight_smile:

I followed the guide you linked above. Now just the first quadrant is blinking - it blinks white a few times then red. It never turns amber like it says it will in the app.

I tried tapping ‘next’ anyway, and it attempts to setup the network, but at the end of the process it just says ‘an unexpected error has occurred’

@smeiste

Can you run this app and PM me the code that it generates? This will allow us to see a few things on your network to make sure everything looks correct.

I installed Gen 3 yesterday and 2.4Ghz connection was consistently inconsistent. I had a strong WiFi signal on my phone and I have other WiFi devices near Gen 3 controller that do not have connectivty issues and run on 2.4Ghz. I tried rebooting the network and resetting the WiFi button on gen 3 but it kept getting stuck on 3rd bar. I received emails that the rachio was connected and ready for set up. My network box indicated it was on the network.

Rachio app said it was online but nothing worked in app. I unplugged the power to Rachio and the app still displayed the status online.

At that point, I switched my phone to the 5Ghz connection, powered on the Rachio, reset the WiFi and connected instantly. I have not had a connection problem since connecting to 5Ghz.

2 Likes

I am having this same issue as well.

@mghoodlum - We may need some more information to solve, unless this is one of those that @Franz can kick start from his end for you.

1. Confirming this is a Gen 3 controller with the light bar running across the unit.
  2. What mobile operating system is being used to setup the Rachio - iOS or Android.
  3. Describe the WiFi setup - different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks? No WEP (use WPA2). Which band is the phone on when trying to connect the Rachio? Is this a mesh network?
  4. Run the RouteThis app and have the code that it generates available for Rachio support if needed.
  1. Gen 3
  2. Latest iOS 11
  3. WPA2, Different SSID’s for 2.4 and 5 ghz. On 2.4 network. It is not a mesh network.
    4.Done! Sent to Franz!

@mghoodlum - Normally iOS setups fly right through first time. I’ve seen challenges with Android here in the community. Well, its out of my hands now, I’m sure @franz will have it figured out PDQ. Once the Rachios are set up they seem rock solid. Sorry the OOBE wasn’t perfect for you.

Welcome to the community.

Ok. Issue apparently resolved itself overnight…

@mghoodlum

As a software engineer this is not what we’d like to see (the world should be deterministic), but glad you are connected. Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

So. We can use 5ghz ?

@Dwinger - the Gen 3 device has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices only have 2.4 GHz WiFi bands.

2 Likes

Yes try 5Ghz on gen 3.

2 Likes

I’m having similar issues as above. It gets to the 3rd bar, blinks red, the app says its having issues and to try again, and then the blue light reverts back to the 2nd bar. What can I do to connect? Just got grass installed today so I’d like to water! :smile:

@andrewmassey2011 - describe the network the Rachio is trying to attach to.

Same SSID for 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz networks? If so, try different names.

Allowing WEP? If so disable and use WPA2 only.

Mesh system? If so, which one.

Run the RouteThis app and send the resulting code to Franz via direct message and Rachio can see if there are any other issues on the network.

1 Like

In addition to @DLane’s suggestions, consider force closing/killing Rachio app and try WiFi setup again.

1 Like

@andrewmassey2011 - also which flavor of app is being used to set up the Rachio - iOS or Android?

1 Like