Poor wifi reception

I have poor reception at my unit. Is there an option to add an antenna?

@mhakakha - No there is not an external antenna port. I’d suggest getting a WiFi extender or Ethernet over powerline with WiFi to get a better signal at your Rachio.

1 Like

I’ve tried, but the box is in a hidden spot with poor reception. Is the unit waterproof? Can I leave it exposed? (Thank you for your quick response)

@mhakakha - the Rachio unit is not waterproof. Rachio sells an external enclosure for the Rachio Gen 2 and Gen 3 devices. I had to put a network extender on the back wall of my house (on the inside) to reach to my Rachio that is installed in an out building.

1 Like

A wifi extender is the best bet as was aforementioned. I have encountered this situation numerous times.

Another option is to move your controller to a location where you can hold at least 2 bars on your wifi meter. This could get expensive depending on how far you have to move it as well as the associated cost of wiring and obstacles.

2 Likes

Moving the controller was a good idea and it helped me to retain the stable connection. Thanks spscountenPhD!