One minute run time?

My understanding of the flexible daily schedule was that Weather Intelligence is built in automatically. We had rain yesterday (4/18), and when I had reviewed my upcoming schedule yesterday it was showing my next scheduled watering day of this Sunday (my schedules are set based on our local watering restrictions, Wednesday and Sunday are the only allowed days). I woke up this morning to see that my Rachio had run the ‘Lawn’ schedule for 5 minutes - 1 minute on each of my three zones!
First of all, because it rained yesterday, our rules don’t allow for any above ground irrigation for the next 48 hours, so I broke that rule. Second, how in the world does a one minute run time provide any real benefit to any zone? I’m hoping this is some type of software glitch.

Hey @chrisandeden-

I checked your account, and something is definitely off. I will look further into it and get back to you.

Just an FYI, flex can get a little tricky with only two watering days. Not saying it won’t work, but I would keep an eye on it in the beginning and make sure your lawn gets enough water on the flex schedule.

McKynzee :rachio:

I have noticed something similar, but not as dramatic. Maybe my root depth is set too low?

@robertokc What’s strange is his schedule that ran says it has a duration of 27 minutes for each zone. Seems like something went wrong on our end. Still investigating what exactly that something is…

@mckynzee of course I’m curious about the extremely short watering run. But more concerning is why the controller even deemed it proper to water on that day. It rained the previous day, and my zones were showing a water balance of 93%. I’m not a fan of having to use something akin to an IFTTT trigger to ensure the system doesn’t run after measurable precipitation, the system should be smart enough to handle that.

Alright @chrisandeden, this mystery actually taught me something about flex I did not previously know, so hats off to you, because that doesn’t happen very often.

There are a couple moving parts in action here. On Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning, there was a change in your forecast for the next couple of days. This change indicated that your zones were not going to be able to make it until your next scheduled watering day without dropping below their allowed depletion line. This was when the decision was made to run Wednesday.

However, your system also recognized that your zones still had a relatively high moisture level. Rather than run the normal duration, flex will only run enough to top your “bucket” off. So those one minute runs were just topping your moisture levels off to make sure that you could make it to the next watering on Sunday. I don’t know about you, but I feel like this is pretty damn smart. Some next level smarts.

I do understand that it never feels right to water after it rains, but with your restrictions, it was looking like you would be dried out by Sunday, so flex had to compensate. If you think you zones would’ve been fine, let me know, because we may be able to tune your zone settings in a little more to solve for that.