New Homebridge (HomeKit) plugin for older Rachio’s

Thanks for responding. I got the api key from the account settings and looks like it doesn’t work. Should I contact Rachio to confirm with them about the api key as I read somewhere on a forum that it could be incorrect and Rachio can provide the correct one?

Regards,
B

Verified the API Key is correct as I was able to just get the json to run with the
API Key
and Person ID

curl -X GET -H “Content-Type: application/json” -H “Authorization: Bearer API KEYhttps://api.rach.io/1/public/person/PersonID

and this pulls the data from my Rachio just fine.

I don’t understand why the config.json doesn’t work:

{
_ “platform”: “Rachio-Platform”,_
_ “name”: “Home”,_
_ “api_key”: “{API KEY}”,_
_ “internal_webhook_port”: 27546, _
_ “external_webhook_address”: “http://EXTERNAL PUBLIC IP:12453”_
}

I have the port forwarding enabled on my Cisco RV345P to forward traffic coming port 12453 to the internal port number 27546 to the internal IP address of the home bridge server.

I dont under stand why its getting stuck on getting client is not authorized.

Pleas suggest,

Are the curly braces surrounding the key actually in your config? Remove those curly braces. Otherwise I don’t know. There’s a JSON test website available — but also keep sensitive information out of it.

https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/

1 Like

Thanks a ton. It was curly brackets. I’m still getting used to coding…

2 Likes

Can the timer for running the sprinklers be in sequential instead of having it in increments of 5?

The plugin is awesome other wise. Good work.

@Kubisuro With the coding assist!

:cheers:

1 Like

This is exciting! I’m already an avid homebridge user (nest, TP-Link, IFTTT). I just ordered a gen 2 system last night and can’t wait to get it working with HomeKit this weekend. Great work @Kcharwood !

1 Like

…and done! Happy to report the installation and setup are now complete, and the Homebridge configuration worked flawlessly. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I finally got around to setting this up with beta4. I keep getting a “rate limit exceeded” message. Testing port forwarding shows the rachio plugin responding to port activity. Suggestions?

So, today I am seeing “client not authorized”. I’m sure my key is correct.

Last response from the plugin author at the plugin repository was in March. Has this plugin been abandoned?

edit Found my typo! It seems to be working now.

Thanks for the plugin - it works great. I have set it up and it shows up with Homekit. I have one question - when I want to create a “Scene” in Apple Home app - it doesn’t show Rachio as one of the accessories that I can add. Any suggestions? All my other Homebridge connected plugins have no issue - just the Rachio.

Rachio Homebridge plugin works through Siri and I get all notifications - that’s not the issue. The question is specific to scene setup.

Would it not be easier to sell the old Rachio and buy new one? No need to kludge and worry about troubleshooting janky set up. More reliable.

No. Gen 2 works great and Gen 3 has showstoppers with HomeKit. This plugin, as long as webhooks are supported in the expected manner, works great.(I bought the gen 2 a few months before before Gen 3 came out; I’m not made of money!).

But honestly, I usually just use the Rachio app anyway, it’s great. I can’t automate the sprinklers via HomeKit Automations, just on and off. But having a geewiz HomeBridge on a raspberry pi 3 is my geek style.

Sweet, I’ve got it all set up and works great.
I had one question, is there a way to ignore or delete unused zones?

Thanks

I don’t think so. Maybe create a “Disabled” room & assign the disabled zones to that “room” to get them out of the way.

@franz Might be good to put some un-official development support around this plugin and include support for v3. I use the Homebridge plugin for my garage doors as its far more reliable than the official HomeKit support offered by LiftMaster. The official LiftMaster HomeKit bridge has all the same issues reported in the “not responding HomeKit” thread.

1 Like

hi Kcharwood,

Thank you for making this plugin.

I got it set up ok, but have one issue.

I have three different rachio controllers on my account.

The plugin seems to pick one at random each time homebridge starts up.

Is there a way I add something to the config file to explicitly include one or more devices?

Thank you!

Scot

I’m new to Homebridge. I bought a HOOBS to add my Rachio 3 since it is having issues with HomeKit natively. I tried you config, however, I don’t see it in HomeKit when I’m trying to add the device. I am an extreme novice at this. Can you point me in the right direction as to what I need to add to the config? Thanks again!

Hello everyone, I’m having the same issue where it tells me that I am unauthorize user even tho I did open up the port & use API code without brackets.

Hi,
I installed the app on Homebridge and am a little confused on what is required to get it to work for port forwarding. The zones still show on Homekit and works without it, so I’m not sure what would change after port forwarding or how to tell if I’ve done it correctly or not. I’m using Google Wifi. Can you let me know if the below setup is incorrect?
External Ports: 12453 -> Internal ports: 27546. TCP only.

Worth noting Homebridge is running on a Raspberry Pi that I’m also running Pi-Hole on and so its set to a static IP for it in order to route DNS through it.

Thanks for the help

My Google Fiber router only has an IPv6 WAN IP address, can I use this plugin, or am I doomed?