New Construction Suggestions?

Absolutely I think you both have proved you know what you are talking about.

Does the controller take into account real time wind patterns that may cause zones to water but not actually water that zone due to the wind?

For example if my zone 1 is on the north side, it turns on but the wind is blowing straight south, I would think the zone 1 water wouldn’t land in zone 1 entirely. Just curious if the controller would know that southern zones would be watered due to the wind and to decrease / stop watering in the southern zones due to this?

Trying to plan zones and heads strategically on the front end, I live in a windy area so I Thought of this question. Thanks

1 Like

no, would be cool, but if you fire that bad boy up real early in the morning, i find wind is not a problem 99% of the time. but your milage may vary. but typically before the sun comes up, wind is pretty low unless you are on the coast or close to a natural wind tunnel, or some other esoteric condition.

ronjonp will know what they are called, but there are head that toss very large water droplets, im thinking about switching over (in some years), they are less susceptible to low wind speed. my neighbor has them, they are super sexy, but its hard to justify replacing all of my heads as my head to head coverage will need to be adjusted and im just not ready for that at this moment.

full disclosure, this is a hobby for me, im a software engineer by trade, so when you get down to irrigation management, im pretty much a hack. im not sure if ronjonp does installation for a profession, but i get the feeling he has actually installed systems in the past, and planned them out, could be wrong. i have not…my next house im going to do myself as i have learned a lot since my system was installed and i have had to manually corrected a lot of issues myself…and im very peculiar and strive for perfection (a bit of ocd) and have been learning about the actual hardware side on this forum and from some friends. i like the turf management side the most, water is a means to keep that going.

2 Likes

I have you fooled! :grinning:
Jokes aside agreed about drip to plants. It’s a very efficient way to water.

I’ve only installed my system at my house ( and helped a few friends ) but have been designing commercial irrigation for 15 years now. I’m a bit of a programmer myself (Autolisp) as I’ve written our software for AutoCAD to do our designs. :sunglasses:

see, not a hack like me.

woof…i have not messed with auto lisp but i have used lisp before. i took a different functional route, erlang/scala/akka with some hobby haskell.

but seriously your design experience comes through in your posts.

Edit: we took the programming language discussion offline, sorry to clutter this thread.

Yeah I have definitely learned a lot from this community already. I work in software architecture/design so I get excited and lost in functionality and usage of data. These controllers seem to be very flexible and allow you to really define and learn from each area of the yard which is cool.

1 Like

We all gotta start somewhere.

I’ve never even heard of these

Thanks! I’m glad I make some sense :grinning:

2 Likes

Are you referring to the MP Rotators? I switched a few zones from sprays to MP Rotators because I had pressure problems and some sprays were just not covering what they should have. The rotators have a lower GPM so it solved my problem. They of course do require longer watering time because of the lower GPM. They claim to save water because less is blown.

Now I have mix-n-match because there are no MP Rotator heads that match some of my smaller oddly shaped areas. thinking about converting to ground cover and drip irrigation… but snakes like ground cover.

i dont kill them when i see them, but the only good snake is a dead snake. i know i know, they have their purpose which is why i dont kill them, but dang, if it is not solid black, i take off running and screaming like a 13 year old girl at a justin bieber concert.

Maybe THIS would be of use.

2 Likes

@galewis, an experienced irrigation professional should have an idea of what you’re referring to. If not, I’d recommend you keep looking :wink:

Rainbird use to offer a free sprinkler design service – I used it a few times to compare against my own early designs (former life as a landscape pro) and it was very informative.

Here’s another sprinkler design/service that Orbit and Home Depot offer…I haven’t used it personally.

And a few more guides for your reading pleasures…

Lots of great ideas from @brkaus, @plainsane, and @ronjonp. Thank you!

3 Likes