Nearly Identical Zones/Settings, Different Irrigation Times

I’ve never had an issue with connectivity myself, but in some cases it should continue without issue. I say some because if you are running Flex Daily, it will check whether conditions within an hour of schedule start and make any necessary changes. I’m not 100% sure if a network issue would cause a problem at that point. If there was enough of a network hiccup at the start of the schedule, the cloud might have seen it as a good run, however the controller never got the signal from the cloud?

@dane any thoughts on this? Are you guys able to see anything on the backend that looks off?

@ronfitch

Dane with Rachio here. I’m going to look into this issue and report back. It is unlikely that a network issue would have a full schedule run would captured in the history but no watering actually occurring. I would not rule that out, but I also would not rule out a hardware issue either. I am going to dig deeper and see if I can find out what happened. If you can be around for the next schedule run it might be worth being there physically to see if the zones activate.

I do want to explain “Offline Watering Events”. These events are stored while the controller is offline and then added to the history feed as soon as the controller connects. The timestamp is when the offline watering event was added to the history feed, not when the offline watering actually occurred.

Hi Dane,

Thanks.

The next scheduled run is Saturday a.m., but I am now out-of-town and will not be back until Sunday night. Rain is in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Another run is scheduled for Monday a.m.

Should I put it in Standby Mode until I can be there?

As I wrote in the thread, this Rachio 2 has been solid - aside from my mistakes - since 2016 or so, until this Spring when I plugged in and it started throwing rain sensor errors every few seconds. I unhooked the sensor and it had worked fine until the issue that started this thread. Then today’s issue.

I did run it manually this morning via iPhone with no issues.

Thanks,

Ron

It is not necessary to put the controller into standby. I’m having our Engineers review this. A preliminary review does indicate that there were a lot of disconnects during the schedule run. It might be an extremely rare WiFi interference/signal strength issue. Since you can run the schedule manually I don’t think there is an issue with the terminals powering on.

Is your original issue solved? It is a little difficult to follow the thread but the initial issue is that zone ran for 21 minutes rather than 41 minutes? Then, you had a schedule running on odd day with an even day restriction. Based on user feedback here you’ve made some adjustments to your schedule end time and now the current issue has a occurred. I think the best thing to do is focus on this current issue that we’re looking into and once that is resolved we can do another review if those issues persist.

Thanks, Dane.

The original issue of the thread is that - according to the history and graphs - all zones ran only two cycles (Smart Cycle). According to those, Zone 4 ran just once. The History shows a second session for zone 4 started but does not indicate it ended. I was curious if the reporting could be wrong or if the second watering actually did not occur.

Regarding the odd day watering, that is what the history shows happened. But it did not happen as I was working in the backyard (where zone 4 is located) during the time the History states it happened. FWIW, it has always been on an even-day only schedule.

On advice here, I changed from end by sunrise to set start time and then a set end time. And I did change WiFi networks thinking perhaps a weak WiFi signal is causing the unit to go offline during sessions. And - another And - I did a hard boot of the Rachio, unplugging for 60 seconds and powering up again.

Following up - Dane sent me the solution privately, which was user error.

In changing my schedule on the night before from “Start at xxx” to “End by xxx” I did not catch that the Rachio uses the time of day when you are making the change as the a.m. or p.m. part. So, it was around 10 p.m. the night before when I went to change the schedule from “Start at 1:00 a.m.” to “End by 5:00 a.m.” but I did not pay close attention to the a.m./p.m. part of the setting and it defaulted to 5:00 p.m. because I was changing the setting during a p.m. time of day (the night before).

I missed that in the screen shots of my schedule posted here. Also, missed in the history where it referred to last watering by day of the week and not date, but saw the last watering.

Again, completely my error.

Thanks to Dane and his team for 1) finding my error and 2) informing me of my error with kindness.

1 Like