Multiple Flex Daily Schedules if Start/End Dates don't overlap

As a home owner who creates schedules, I want to be able to create multiple Flex Daily schedules for different times of the year so that I do not need to continually delete and recreate my watering schedules.

I have to keep multiple schedules for different times of the year, based on watering restrictions. I need one schedule for March and April, a second for May thru August, and a third schedule for September and October.
Currently, if I want to take advantage of the Flex Daily feature, I need to delete my schedule and create a new one on March 1st, on May 1st, and again on September 1st.
Can the system allow multiple Flex Daily schedules as long as the Start and End dates for each one does not overlap any others?

1 Like

I agree, that would be a good idea. In the meantime, a possible workaround:

You CAN have multiple Flex Daily schedules as long as they don’t use the same zone. Either using a Zone that is Disabled, or one that you don’t use Flex Daily for, create your first Flex Daily schedule. Just don’t add the normal zones you don’t want it to be used for. Then create the others using a different Disabled zone (you probably have to Enable it first, but if it’s not used, it doesn’t matter). Then a 3rd schedule or whatever.

For example, I use zones 1-5 on my Flex Daily, and zones 7-12 are Disabled. I can create a Flex Daily for March-April using zone 7, for May-August using zone 8 and September-October using zone 9. Then, whichever schedule I want to use, Add zones 1-5 to it. When it’s time for the next schedule change, Remove zones 1-5 from the first, and add them to the second schedule. Etc.

Not perfect, and I agree Rachio should allow multiple Flex Daily schedules, just not let them work unless only 1 is Enabled or available due to date.

2 Likes

I agree: Not perfect as it still requires edits on the same days, but the edits are more simplistic. But this is the best workaround I’ve heard so far! Thank you VERY much!!! Nice thinking!

–Bert

Hi Bekoehler,

I live in Southern California and design irrigation for CA Native Plant gardens. I am hoping that some day, if I wish upon a star, Rachio will provide an option for us.

Perhaps these instructions are easier to follow. You can set it for non-native CA plants using the same technique. Rachio, please advise if there are errors in these instructions.

Multiple Flex Daily Schedules for CA NATIVE PLANTS in So. Cal. Weather

A work-around for a 4 Valve & 8 Zone Rachio Controller:
You CAN create multiple Flex Daily schedules as long as they don’t use the same zone as an existing enabled Zone during set-up. Either use a zone that is disabled, or one that is not used as Flex Daily Schedule. This is temporary.

1. Create your first Flex Daily schedule For Hottest Months. Do not include the zones that you are designing it for or the TARGET ZONES.

2. Next, create the others using a different Disabled or un-used zone (if it hasn’t been used, you will have to “Enable “it first).
    EXAMPLE: If you use zones TARGET ZONES 1-4 on your existing Flex Daily schedule. Do not include these in the new schedules.
    Disable the TARGET ZONES during programming.

3. For programming, use SET UP ZONES 5-8 that are either disabled or not programmed. Enable if necessary.

4. Using SET UP ZONE 5, create THE FIRST Flex Daily schedule for the hottest 4 months in Southern California, July-October.

5. Using SET UP ZONE 6, create THE SECOND Flex Daily schedule for the beginning of the cooler rainy months, Nov-Feb.

6. Using SET UP ZONE 7, create THE THIRD Flex Daily schedule for the spring schedule, March-June.

7. AFTER programming the SET UP ZONES, disable the 3 that you will not be using.

8. On July 1, ENABLE SET UP ZONE 5 (the Hot Season Schedule) and include/enable TARGET ZONES 1-4, and disable SET UP ZONE 5.

9. When you come to a new irrigation quarter, The Cool Rainy Season, DISABLE TARGET ZONES 1-4, DISABLE the PREVIOUS SET UP ZONE 5. Enable SET UP ZONE 6 and add TARGET ZONES 1-4 to it. Then disable SETUP ZONE 6.

Thanks! You’ve hit on the exact workaround I’ve been doing. Now I just need to set a calendar reminder so I change the schedule (otherwise, fines will commence for watering on “off” days!).

Appreciate the time you took and detail you provided! Very easy directions to follow.

–Bert

Hi Bert,
I am rewarded by your finding my instructions easy to follow. I keep hoping that Rachio will make this marvelous software more user friendly. They have good self-help services but I have a feeling that the entire program could be more user friendly.

1 Like

I don’t understand why the flex schedule wouldn’t automatically account for the season changes?

I’ve used RACHIO3 on about 15 landscapes, but wasn’t using the advanced settings correctly. I’m trying to improve this but I am confused …

Flex Daily schedules change from day to day based on current conditions, so season changes don’t apply to them like they do to Fixed Schedules.

but the seasonal changes are obvious in the weather updates, right? is it the lack of daylight info that’s relevant?

are you someone that is willing to answer some other questions? i’m having trouble getting the info i need.

thank you!!!

Flex Daily looks most at how much water your ground is going to lose over the day (evapotranspiration), how much your grass/plants need (crop-coefficient) and whether you are predicted to get precipitation. So it is continually monitoring and adjusting.

Ask away!!! There are lots of people on the forum that are willing to answer questions! Some much smarter than me!!! And don’t worry – I’ve been using Rachio for six years now. It took me awhile to understand it (and there are things that are still a mystery to me). I just know that it works very well for me, keeps my plants/lawn satisfied, and has dropped my watering costs.

You’re awesome, thank you!!!
AND I just found some basic info i was missing. Let me study first.
Thanks again!!!

Hi Ingrid,

I have attached a Word doc. that helps with programming the Advanced Section. Let me know if this helps.

(Attachment RACHIO complete PROGRmng NOTES_7.14.20.docx is missing)

This helps me.

Rachio Programming Chart 7.8.21.pdf (96 KB)

Thank you so much, after vacation, aug 3, I’ll dive in!

I’d also like to be able to add multiple flex daily schedules for different times of the year. During the summer, I like to water daily. During other months, I like to water every other day. Currently, I have to delete and create a new schedule each time I want to change the watering frequency.

Hello Tcremer! Thanks for the chart, that i only now printer, Haha.
Question, for the nozzle inches per hour, i.e. 1/2gph emitter line, if the average number of emitters around a plant is A, should the nozzle inches per hour be set at 1/2gph x A, or just 1/2 gph? Seems like it should be multiplied out.

You need to study the soil and plant’s water requirements.

I understand them in terms of gph, but found a chart that converts to inches per hour, as RACHIO wants.
Thanks.

I’m Happy you found the information you were looking for.