Meet Team Rachio - Jessica G

Hi everyone! I’m Jessica - one of the Server Engineers here at Rachio. I’ve been around for 3 years now, long past time for an introduction! Here’s a little bit about me…

Who do you look up to/your biggest influencers?

One person is Greg Duffy, the founder of Dropcam. I was an intern at Nest when they acquired Dropcam and I got to meet Greg along with a few of the Dropcam employees.

Greg had zero ego and his employees loved working for him. He made sure they knew that family came first, was extremely pragmatic in his decision making, and gave honest answers. Even when the question askers were interns.

Other people who inspire me are my parents, my grandparents, my siblings, Sandy Lerner, Sir Nicholas Winton, Mike Rowe, Joan of Arc, and … the list goes on :wink:

What’s a secret talent of yours?

I can crack an apple in half with my hands, just like Aladdin.

What’s your favorite thing about Rachio?

First: the people =). Second: constant growth. Rachio is a place of non-stop learning for me. I got to use my background in hardware design in the beginning, then work client side on web and iOS before finding my home on the server team. (My greatest legacy is hiding Gnorm the Rachio yard gnome in the iOS app, R.I.P.)

What’s an accomplishment that you’re proud of from this year?

Our business intelligence platform! We’ve gone from very little data access to full on BI platform. It started with a data lake and Spark jobs running on EMR, and now we have a full blown data pipeline utilizing Snowflake, Tableau, even more Spark jobs, orchestration, monitoring, third party data source tools, and a customer data platform (just getting started!).

If you had to eat one thing for every meal going forward, what would you eat?

This is my brother-in-law’s favorite party question. He’s asked me 12 variations of it. Pizza. Darnit George, I would eat PIZZA.

What energizes you and brings you excitement?

Collaborating with smart humble people. Which is one of the reasons I love working at Rachio. The people here are genuinely good at what they do, and are focused on the big picture.

Where is your happy place?

The lake. I loooove lake life. Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia, is a master of work life balance, and one day I hope to emulate him; spending half the year doing work I love and half the year on a lake.

8 Likes

@Jess you are my fave. And if I don’t see you crack and apple in half the second we’re back in the office i’ll be upset. :heart:

Now if you could crack an Apple in half from your server, it might help silence some of those HomeKit whiners :wink:

Welcome!