Latest upgrade seems to have been created in a vacuum

[quote=“charlieman22, post:1, topic:25098”]
note
[/quote]could not agree more! The goal should be simplicity to perform and that usually means reduced keystrokes. It almost never means more keystrokes. Well stated!

@franz @tmcgahey Thank you both re: ML. In the interest of not hijacking this thread, I’ll comment on ML in the Launching Smart Zone Settings ⚙️ thread instead.

I would disagree. First and foremost, any irrigation controller, Rachio included, is just that, a controller for irrigation. As a controller for anything, it has to be intuitive and efficient for its users. ML is amazing at the repetitive things, and it can “learn” to control these with changing outside forces. What is a long way off is predicting what the real users, the owners, will want to do with their systems in every edge case. And most of those edge cases are really so edgy. I believe @charlieman22 has done a great job identifying many of those cases, and I’ve encounter these and more as well. Not one of them is easily adapted into a ML scenario and likely to have to remain manual for some time to come if not forever.

If you agree there are at least several occasions when manual intervention is needed, then you hopefully also agree that any manual process should be as intuitive and efficient as is possible. That pretty much was the case, now not so much. Whatever the internal rationale, there should be respect for both the automated and the manual needs of the system. ML will only improve the automated which is already quite advanced, now the manual needs to achieve that efficiency of steps that is the heart of this thread…I think.

Ok, I’m a newbe with the Rachio system and I’m also not a tech but I have to say the Charlieman22 has “NAILED IT”. All I want is set up my zones, be able to manual ON/OFF as needed and “trust” my system to watch the local weather and water as needed while I’m gone for a few weeks. I REALLY don’t care about all the other BS “features” just give me a kick ass simple watering system like I thought I was buying.

1 Like