Large increase in moisture balance after a trace of rain

One of my zones that has shrubs showed a significant increase in moisture balance after just a trace of rain and no irrigation. There was .07 inches of rain and .06 evaporation but the moisture went from 1.09 (58%) to 1.1 (91%). What would cause such a dramatic increase in percentage from such a trace amount of rain?

I agree, the percents look really screwy. Maybe post the whole week to show other values? Also, maybe just keep an eye on it.

Do you have a good weather station nearby? If you do, try switching to that to get rain values measured at that station instead of WI + predicted values. Real world empirically measured weather data from a nearby good/reliable station is always better. When you switch, go back to the soil moisture charts to see how the soil moisture changes with the measured and forecasted rain values.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that. Values from 3/11 to 3/13 are consistent. And values from 3/14 on are consistent. But you’re right, there is an inconsistency between 3/13 and 3/14.

I’m thinking perhaps you change the Soil Depth or Allowed Depletion or other value on 3/13 or 3/14? Doing that would not change the total water in the soil (inches) but WOULD change the percent that water is of the maximum. That’s the only scenario I can visualize that would cause it. I don’t think the rain amount caused it, nor do I think it’s caused by weather station selection.

There were no changes made yesterday, only today after I noticed the inconsistency.

I can’t explain it then. I’d just continue on, keep an eye on it, and see if it happens again.