If a Rachio 4 were announced, what are you hoping for?

Here are some of my suggestions:
A functional USB port for accessories such as USB to ethernet converter.
A dual primary transformer within the power supply with 110/220V voltage selection switch.
Dedicated 24v- terminals for S1 and S2 inputs.
A solid state relay on the power / common rail, capable of turning off outputs when powered by a DC power supply; enforced soak periods when DC supply is detected (allow solenoids to cool off).
A pressure sensor accessory, allow index reference and control over indexing valves (popular in Florida).
Manual rain / weather adjustment of historic data, in case obviously erroneous reading was received.
Real-time access to flow sensor data, via webhooks or standard API. Similar to what app shows during calibration.

Moisture sensor integration

3 Likes

If someone is truely into home automation and have a Zwave network, they should already have a hub to control this, and Rachio can be made to talk with most hubs out there. Plus, unless someone has a very strong zwave network in place, the chance of it reaching the irrigation controller outside of in a garage could be tough.

In long term, new protocols like upcoming Matter (developed by Apple, Google and Amazon), would allow inoperability despite the wireless standard. It wouldn’t require Rachio to act as a hub, but should it be integrated, allow the hub to control Rachio and visa versa.

5 Likes

I use HomeSeer today with dozens of Z-Wave+ devices. Signals strength has so far not been a problem. All the line-powered devices also act as repeaters, know their neighboring devices, and setup multiple routes back to the hub. In open air the signal strength is rather impressive. My Rachio is currently in the garage among line-powered Z-Wave devices so it’d be an easy reach.

I would prefer not to have to make Rachio work even though you certainly can. Today, I have a plug-in which relies on calls back to the Rachio web app to read controller/zone/schedule information. Native Z-Wave integration would be welcomed to cut that out and not be beholden to the web app. But hey it’s a wish list so my wishes may not align with everyone else. :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

I’m on ST, and I agree, a strong zwave network is easy to get (I have probably 40 switches, 12 outets, spread across three structures on my property). I’m just looking at it through Rachio’s eyes. A basic DIY’er with limited knowledge on the subject gets excited to add a zwave switch to their patio light so they can do what you are looking for…but wonder why the zwave switch won’t connect to the Rachio 50’ away in the garage. Just sounds like a support nightmare.

My city has a winter schedule (1 day a week) and a summer schedule (2 days a week). I have 2 schedules which are used for this. But, I have to update the start and end date every year. The two schedules don’t seem to know what the previous schedule did for water, so assumes that the soil was dry, since it doesn’t know the zone was watered with the previous schedule

1 Like

I would say full local control on the Rachio (either with WiFi/Z-Wave or ZigBee) would go against the business model of Rachio.

Saying that, I hope they give some local control. Either through API (preferably) or via an on-device webpage.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself when I say I wasn’t suggesting local control replaces the cloud components, just an additional means of access/control. :slight_smile: We pay no subscription fees so after HW purchase the only value has to be our data.

1 Like

Rachio controllers are fundamentally cost reduced on the controller level. By the design all of the fancy stuff is handled in the cloud and only the schedule is sent to the controller.
It’s not that it’s against the business model, it’s more that controller is ignorant of zone settings, climate, or any other metric that makes it smart. It just knows when it needs to turn on next and for how long.

1 Like

Agreed and I don’t have a problem with cloud first control (which is why I bought the Rachio in the first place). But it would be nice to have a local option.

1 Like

Ethernet and a functioning Apple Homekit.

make rachio 4 available to international users (that is 220V) with no unauthorized radio bands.

1 Like

But the current Rachio 3 “does” support HomeKit… :nauseated_face:

We need better pro tools. I.e. features to locate valve boxes, individual valves, etc.
This would be far too easy to implement. https://www.amazon.com/WYJ-Suitable-Chat-R-Box-Irrigation-Aliigator/dp/B07VQLX4JG

1 Like

We need better pro sales tools brochures, videos, etc. All the current marketing emphasizes the novelty of the Rachio and app controls. How about emphasizing all the water the customer could save with this device? How about some sales tools demonstrating benefits beyond showing off to your friends… smart integration and other novelties.

2 Likes

Do you give yourself replacing those way more than you should need to @tmcgahey ? I have had so many die on me, often when I have to turn off power are the breaker. I’ve read up on it and it seems to be a common issue with Jason stitches. I’m wondering if you’ve found any that are more reliable.

I suppose so. Most of mine are GE/Jasco switches. I’ve had to swap 8 switches in 6 years. All were replaced for free by Jasco with a quick call to customer service. In comparison to standard switches, yea, I replace “a lot”.

1 Like

I currently have all HomeSeer switches. In six years I’ve had two out of dozens fail. :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes