I need some help with a new Iro installation

I received a brand new Iro (from BestBuy Canada) yesterday to replace and aging Toro TMC-424E. Setting the WiFi was a pain since the Iro refused to connect to my router (Linksys WRT1900AC configured as an access point). The Iro was stuck at ‘Getting IP address’. The only solution was to activate WiFi on my Internet provider router (Bell Home Hub 2000) and connect to it. Not a big deal but it was not a great start.

Once everything was setup I tried to manually activate a few zones but nothing happened. I checked my wiring again (It was simple since I had labelled every wire) and everything looked OK. Then following the troubleshooting steps provided on Rachio’s Web site I removed the front cover of the Iro from the wallplate, kept the front cover plugged in and started a zone. The status light never turned blue.

I the rechecked every connection, including the power cable and found something interesting: when wiggling the power connector or when rotating it in its socket, the Iro would lose power. Rotating the connector again a few degrees would restore power.

Any one have any idea what could be wrong (beside the fact that the unit appears to be defective)?

Since we are currently in the middle of an heatwave I’ve reconnected the Toro (it’s working perfectly) so I can try to resolve the issue with Rachio support. If an RMA is required, do any of you know how long it could take (considering I’m Canada)?

Thanks!

because im retarded, i when i had a problem, i put my own wire on the common rail and to zone 1 then i started zone 1 then quickly and lightly touched the wires on my tongue. a voltage meter is better but i dont have one of those.

i would verify with a voltage meter or tongue meter that power is being applied ot the solenoid.

Just a thought, do you have a Master Valve/Pump on your system? If so, is it enabled in “Device Settings”?

As currently setup (on the Toro), I have 12 wired zones, 2 common wires connected, and one connected wire to the P terminal (Pump Start/Master Valve) for the master valve (there is no pump installed on my system, only a master valve).

When the Iro was installed last evening everything was connected including the P/MV wire. I did double check again (just now) in the iPhone App configuration and the Master Valve/Pump is set to ON in the Advanced Configuration menu.

Strange thing is that the Iro is now back in its box but the iPhone App still show it as being Online…

I’ll let you know what support as to say when I get a reply to my support request.

@magictoaster, I’ll follow up with you via your support ticket, but if the status light does not turn on blue, then it is not receiving the command from the app.

We’ll probably need to reset your Iro and blinkup again.

Best, Emil

I’ll do this later today when I’m back at home. I’m still concerned about this: when wiggling the power connector or when rotating it in its socket, the Iro would lose power. Rotating the connector again a few degrees would restore power.

Thanks Emil for the quick reply! I’ll hopefully be able to get everything working later today!

I deleted the Iro, did the blinkup again and everything is working (I tested all zones). Thanks again for you help!

1 Like