Hunter MP Rotator Heads

Yes, at only 25 psi, the precipitation rate is only .45 inch per hour. How are you determining pressure. With a Hunter MP Gauge? Its the only proven way to check pressure of a spray zone, unless you have made a homemade device with a pressure gauge.

Hi, I just wanted to check in on this issue.

Recapping: After updating my sprinkler heads to low-flow MP-rotors, my irrigation times went up to very long times (8-9 hrs), which compromise the idea about “never irrigate at night”. Additionally, given the lower flow rate of the new MP-rotors, the pressure drop on the main water line is much lower and most implementations can probably support 2 or 3 simultaneous zones.

The proposed workaround, to reduce overall watering time, was to hard-wire two zones together. As I prepared to do this during mid-summer, I realized I just couldn’t get myself to do this because it negated the first principle of Rachio–water savings. Overall, my zones are all different (some have steeper slopes, others have more shade, etc.) and I had tuned each zone to water just right. I realized that by tying two zones together, I would inevitably have to overwater one of them, and that was not cool.

Now that there are upgrades happening to the app and service, I’d like to once again feature-request that you enable a software way to enable activating two zones simultaneously.

@Rodrigo Determine your gallons per minute on the zones you want to run together. The size of your water meter will determine your total flow.

I have direct measurements of each zone’s flow, before and after the change to MP rotors. All I need is for the controller to be able to turn on multiple zones simultaneously.

MP rotators have a low precipitation rate (inch per hour), but their flow rate varies depending in the nozzle. Here is the specs: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hunterindustries.com/node/501&ved=2ahUKEwisi7CzuoXZAhWphVQKHUVFCc8QFjAEegQIEhAB&usg=AOvVaw2AVoPIf1Lk6c5lh6C8P_sE

Holy cow, these are long run times. Was there a reason why you chose these over spray nozzles? You invested a lot of money in these nozzles.

My system was originally designed with traditional spray heads. I got sick of seeing enormous amounts of mist flowing away in the wind so I converted it to MP rotators.

Misting is caused by high pressure. MP rotators perform best at 40 psi. I know you have invested money in the MP rotators, but consider retrofitting standard spray heads to 30 psi pressure regulated heads and then use regular spray nozzles. Perhaps try this on one zone. For example, if you have Rain Bird spray bodies, buy 1800 PRS heads. Remove the internals of the existing heads and drop in the pressure regulated internals. If your MP Rotators are irrigating shrubs, could you stagger days? I do not know where you live, but established shrubs do fine with watering twice a week during July.

1 Like

Sure. I looked into that, I had higher than normal pressure (65 PSI) and I looked at the difference in price from installing pressure regulators for the old Hunter Pro spray heads vs. replacing everything with MP rotators. Ultimately, I was sold on the higher efficiency (even when Pro-sprays are well regulated).

Sure, there are many solutions. The point of this thread is that a simple software feature that enables two (or three) simultaneous zones would be the best of all worlds. Rachio: Please consider this.

Mine run for 50 minutes each zone, and for now I have mine based on the maximum precipitation rate listed on Hunter’s site until I get off my but and do a catch cup test.

Do you have the available gallons per minute to wire two zones together?

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was trying to get at too. Depending on the GPM, the meter will determine total flow. If the pressure is still 65psi, there will still be misting without head regulation and more flow per zone.

Do I understand correctly, you didn’t regulate the heads?

The MPs are more efficient with regulation. The nozzles themselves have no regulation and will turn faster than normal without it, wearing the gears. Plus, if the heads are regulated it will help when running zones together.

Because I’m not interested in digging up 70 sprinkler bodies to replace them with pressure reducing bodies, I am going to give these Hunter Accu Sync’s a try. Not sure if they are universal to any solenoid valve or not, but I know they will work on my Hunter PGV’s…

I replaced all heads with MP-Rotors and added adjustable regulators to each zone, and I have directly measured and adjusted each zone to operate at the recommended 40 PSI. Since the original piping was done for high-flow Hunter PRO heads, I do have the pipes/flow/GPS/pressure to run two, maybe even three, zones together.

The point I’m trying to make here is that an added software feature that allows running multiple zones simultaneously would be extremely beneficial, because:
a) It would enable precisely controlling each zone to only water what it needs, and not more, and
b) It would dramatically reduce irrigation time by 1/2 or 1/3.

Yes, I could hard-wire two zones together, say 1 and 2, but if zone 2 needs more water that zone 1, I will have to overwater zone 1, which goes against the core principle of Rachio.

Accusync only works with Hunter valves. What valve do you have. I suggest buying the Accusync that has a dial. MP Rotator optimum operating pressure is 40.
If retrofitting heads, you dont dig up heads. Pull out the guts of the standard sprays and drop in the guts of the pressure regulated pro spray.
I believe accusync is more cost effective.

If I didn’t have the small PS Ultra bodies, that would work. Guts on mine don’t transfer to anything, and I have to dig them all up to fit the larger “standard” body.

I actually talked with one of my customers and he mentioned that I can utilize the flow adjustment knob on my Hunter PGV valve to accomplish the same thing. I guess the Accu-Sync just adjusts how much movement the diaphragm has, which is the same as the flow control knob.

Also, we talked a bit about my set-up, and he thinks it was originally designed for standard sprays (which I had assumed all along), but retrofitted with MP’s at some point. I only have 6-7 heads per zone, so I may do some repiping and physically tie 2, or maybe even 3 zones together. This could cut down my zones from 10 to 3, and run time from 10 hours, to 3! As an added benefit, that would cut the pressure down on the zones, and bring it closer to the 40psi I’m looking for…

You are correct about the PS Ultra sprays. Too bad.

Here is a Hunter video about PGV valves with flow control. Its not the same as pressure control

Accusync: https://youtu.be/OC3Uv6M5lXk

Another Hunter Accusync video:
https://youtu.be/E91fTne-kAo

@Rodrigo That explains a lot. I am curious to know what the total flow is on the zones you want to run simultaneously?

Good work!

As for your point:
I think running more than two zones together may also require hardware changes to the motherboard because of the additional power drawn.

It seems you want to run multiple zones together, but still be independently scheduled not to over/under water. Right?