How Does Heat Factor Into Flex Schedule?

I’m a new customer in the Houston area and things are a bit different here when it comes to watering and I wondered how well the flex schedule is going to work for me. The only grass we can get here to grow in the intense heat is St. Augustine and even though its heat resistant it needs a fair bit of water in addition to growing in awful clay soil that is either the consistency of pudding when wet or like concrete when dry with little in-between.

My question is about the seasonal changes with Flex schedules and if it is really taking into account 3 months of 95+ temps every day even though we have a constant 60% humidity. Should I opt for a manual schedule during the summer months?

Flex schedules have a constant duration for each zone (which you can adjust slightly in the schedule itself) and just the watering frequency changes. They do take into account daily temperatures (including humidity) which subtracts moisture from the zone. When the zone is depleted, we water. The basic theory is that in hotter periods (more evapotranspiration) the frequency increases, and with cooler periods frequency decreases.

Here is some more literature to help out:

http://support.rachio.com/category/381-flex-schedules

Let us know if you have any more questions

Thanks!

:cheers:

1 Like

@TXCraig To see a visual representation of them working in action we currently show in the webapp (app.rach.io) soon to be in mobile. If you click on the arrows you can see the future :wink:

MOAR

http://support.rachio.com/article/395-understanding-moisture-level-for-your-zones

You all certainly have it down to a science! I’m going to set it and forget it… and see how it goes. Thanks.

@TXCraig

I recommend starting simple with one or two zones and get those dialed in first, just to understand how flex works, but that’s just me :wink:

:cheers:

Now you tell us. Oh great one. Lol Ive been racking my brain trying to synchronize the entire package. I guess it makes sense and just keep adding zones into the mix.
Better late than never. :wink:

1 Like