HomeKit says 17 Updates Available for Rachio

Hey @milehiguy! Thanks for the heads up. Definitely does seem like that might be the case (although we only go up to 16 zones so the 17 updates might be the outlier here. @Michael_I is just getting back in the office after a week off with family but I will make sure he sees this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. By the way, probably not an outlier because the # of HomeKit notifications weā€™re seeing is the # of zones our controllers are capable of plus 1. i.e. those with 8 zone controllers are seeing 9 notifications, those with 12 zone controllers are seeing 13, and those with 16 zone controllers (like me) are seeing 17.

2 Likes

I have a Rachio 3.

In the Home app the firmware for Rahio is 5.632 for me. I believe that is the latest.

In Rachio, the Firmware is iro3-firmware-hk-5-632. So same version but formatted differently.

Nowhere is it saying there is an update.

Note, be careful sharing Rachio URLs. I just noticed they left an auth token in that one.

@Mbierman Ref. my two screenshots earlier in the thread. Weā€™re being falsely alerted (some of us anyway) to available firmware updates (either 9, 13, or 17) within the Home app (and as a red badge on the app icon), not within the Rachio app. These notifications popped up out of nowhere last week for no apparent reason.

o.k. it seems like the earlier comment is that yes, the number of accessories that need to be updated is what is driving the number. Each controller is an accessory. @jay123 made an excellent point.

Why some people are getting that message and others are not isnā€™t clear to me. As far as I know, 5.632 is the latest firmware.

My experience was very different from yours, @milehiguy. It wasnā€™t until 5.632 when I finally got homekit to work with Rachio.

You mention Rachio providing weekly updates on homekit? Can you provide a pointer to that? Since it has been working for me, I havenā€™t paid that much attention.

1 Like

Yeah, HomeKit has been working fine for me as well. Note that Iā€™m still running the same firmware (615) that my v3 controller came with when I first installed it last summer, even though an update IS available for me. My understanding is that firmware 632 may have introduced HomeKit related issues for users on certain devices. Director of engineering @Michael_I is investigating this and has been providing updates to the users here. For more information, ref. the thread below. Unless you want to read all 400+ messages, I suggest starting at the bottom and working your way up. :wink:

Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

1 Like

Any update on this issue?

2 Likes

Hey @Philmographer. Going to direct you to @Michael_I and Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again) on this one.

:cheers:

Hi @laura.bauman ā€¦ I think the anomaly in this thread is, for the most part, unrelated to the ongoing HomeKit related work (WiFi SDK) that @Michael_I and your team is doing with the contractor. In this case, on July 6th, 17 updates (in my case, because I have a 16-zone controller) were suddenly shown as available, both on the Home icon and within the Home app itself. ref. my screenshots earlier in the thread. The ā€œ17 updates availableā€ notification is still there, a month later, both on my iPad Pro and on both of my wifeā€™s devices (iPhone 8+ and iPad 7th Gen). Michael, if you could provide an update on these ghost update notifications, Iā€™d appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day! :wink:

Iā€™ll chime in here too. Same problem for me. I have the 16 zone controller with two related? issues.

1. I have the 17 updates problem in Home.
  2. I got the notice that I couldnā€™t update the wifi network with my iPhone 11 and followed the directions to use an older iPhone (8) which seemed to work, but the firmware didnā€™t update as promised and I still get the error message on my iPhone 11. Therefore, Iā€™m running firmware iro3-firmware-5-630 and it does not indicate that there is an update available to 632 as discussed in this thread on my iPhone 11, my wifeā€™s iPhone 8, or my desktop Mac.

So ghost HomeKit updates and inability to update firmware are my problems, even though the controller is online.

Bummed that the update bubble shows up but for the time being I guess itā€™s the price I pay for having asked to downgrade my firmware so HomeKit would work. But seeing Iā€™m not alone in this issue is somewhat reassuring.

I know I can always turn off the Badges option in Notifications/HomeKit.

Thanks for the reminder that I can fo this. For the meantime though, Iā€™ll just live with the notice that 17 (in my case) Rachio related firmware updates are available in HomeKit. Hoping that maybe the notice will disappear when I DO upgrade my firmware in the future. Currently, still sitting at 615.

Curious how long youā€™ve had yours showing up? I had Rachio downgrade my firmware and itā€™s been a few weeks. A similar issue has shown up for those using HomeKit was other devices. Home keeps warning of a update that doesnā€™t exist. Onvis said it was an Apple issue in that case. Tested on the public iPadOS 14 beta 5 and same issue.

1 Like

This problem showed up exactly on July 6th (the day before OP of this thread). Not sure what app and/or firmware version may have been pushed out about that time. Heck, I donā€™t even know for sure if itā€™s a Rachio or Apple problem. Not a show stopper, but annoying that itā€™s still there.

1 Like

@milehiguy you may be onto something. I checked, there were not iOS updates at that time, iOS 13.5.1 came out June 1 and 13.6 came out July 15. However, the Rachio app was updated to 4.1.10 on July 6, 2020. Iā€™m suspecting there was a change to the code that brought out this issue.

I wonder if @Michael_I or @laura.bauman knows anything about this?

1 Like

Admittedly, Iā€™m a bit removed from the HomeKit project work, so Iā€™ll let @Michael_I speak to this!

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: still no response

This may be fixed with this weeks firmware update. I was notified it as I have flow meters and the update might cause flow meters to disconnect. (See info on that on a different thread).

After getting my flow meters to connect (which involved restarting my Rachio controller), I am no longer seeing 17 updates available. Hopefully, this is resolved for good.

1 Like