Gen 2 Will Not Activate any Zone Controllers

Today I replaced my old Rainbird controller with a new Rachio G2 8-zone controller. All was well with the Rainbird. None of the 5 zones activates with the Rachio G2. The Orbit zone controllers have never given me any trouble.

Everything looks right using the Rachio web site and the iPhone app. The controller is on my wi-fi network. The lights looks right too. Other than the obvious, I can see nothing wrong. Any ideas?

Do you valves feature wires of a same color, or are they different colors, such as Red & Black?
I’m asking to find out if your controller had DC latching solenoids,like these (link), or something else.

Picture of your setup (before, if you have one, and after) would be helpful, at the very least a model of your old Rainbird controller is helpful.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help with this. I am attaching photos of the old and the new equipment and configuration.Old-rainbird-controller-wiring|667x500

Seems the issue is that your white wire is connected to a wrong terminal.
Please move it from SP terminal, to one of any of your C terminals. System should work from then on.

Congrats on the upgrade, I recommend you go with flex-daily schedule as it is the most feature-rich.

Cheers,
Gene

2 Likes

Gene beat me to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

By about a second :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been sitting here and thinking, that SP terminal is actually pretty much the same as a C terminal, though can’t support as much current. So while it is a good idea to switch, it doesn’t explain why the system does not run.

I see a secondary issue. All of your manual valves (highlighted in RED) are in the OFF position (perpendicular to the pipe). You will also need to turn them all ON (handle should be parallel to the pipe) by rotating the handles 90 degrees.

By the way, what is the function of the valve on the right (highlighted Yellow)?

4 Likes

Well, you hit the nail on its head! The person that added the 5th zone to mu irrigation system left the other 4 zones closed! It was a fundamental problem that you saw way before I would have. Thank you very much for that. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

1 Like

@Gene

:cheers:

1 Like