Gen 2 Controller setup failing

I just installed a Gen 2, 8 zone and can’t for the life of me get it to work. Use the app,

1. scan the bar code,
  2. says connecting to wifi network,
  3. then updating firmware, then connecting to wifi network,
  4. then fail.
  5. Unplug restart…

I have done this MANY, MANY times. I need my sprinkler. I found some instructions for turning off mobile data on Android (what kind of crappy instructions is that) but that didn’t work either.

Help, how am I supposed to get this working?

@quickpic - run the RouteThis app and send the code it generates to Rachio support.

A couple of things:

1. Do you have different SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks - if you have both?
  2. Are you running a WiFi mesh configuration - e.e. Orbi or eero?
  3. What flavor of the app are you using Android (maybe) or iOS?
  4. If the WiFI system accepts WAP turn that off and just use WPA2.

I’m assuming this is the article you referenced ->

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Android
  4. WPA2 – no WPA allowed

Yes that is the article I saw.

The RouteThis app looks like a privacy problem.

@quickpic - RouteThis is the app that Rachio support uses to analyze the network, I can’t comment on what it reports as I haven’t seen the report - I’m just an end user.

What light code is showing on the Gen 2?

Edit - here’s the link to the limit schedules (you may need to perform a factory reset first) ->

After beating my head against the wall and doing the same thing 20+ times… it worked.
Super frustrating setup. Hopefully it redeems itself by working well. Not a good first impression though.

I thank you for your responses!

1 Like

@quickpic - You’re welcome. Thanks for commenting. I can understand the frustration. FWIW - my Gen 2 installed first time straight through a couple of years ago. I used iOS and I have seen some initial teething problems with Android setup, but once set up the Rachios are rock solid.

Two pieces of advice:

1. GIGO - if you want all the bells and whistles of the fully Flex schedule get all the data inputs right - root depth, soil type, precipitation rate, etc. as they will impact the schedule (Garbage In Garbage Out).

2. I’d (and I think Raciho) would recommend doing one zone Flex until that zone gets dialed in and then move to the others. I’d start out on Flex Monthly.

3 Likes