Flow sensor data is drastically off

On phone with CST now… suspense :wink:

5 Likes

Just got off phone with CST. They suspect the problem is with the formula in the software of my Rachio controller. Hum from solenoid on top of manifold valve is normal BTW. Unplugged garage fridge because sensor wires pass by it’s AC cord. Didn’t make a difference. Changed sensor wires to S2 and SC from S1 and SC. Didn’t make a difference. Selected a few Toro and Badger sensors Brad from CST knew the flow of, saw how the numbers changed, sometimes lower, sometimes higher, but consistently off by laughable amounts. Because no realtime flow data is available in Rachio, you can’t see if it is an interference issue. They’re, as am I, confident it’s not the sensor since the readings are consistent from zone to zone and you can see the difference in zone 4 that has only 1 tree irrigated currently. They’re sending me a new sensor to swap out regardless. This does appear to be something with the Rachio software. Rewriting it for Rachio wireless flow sensor support the culprit? Is the formula used for your own different? Did you regression test the other sensors with your new gen3 code? Is Gen2 and Gen3 models running same code? Is there a decimal off in the code somewhere for the K and O values? I’m tempted to go buy a Gen 3 just to plug in and test it. If it did work, I would have to return it and switch to another brand out of principal. That would put the nail in the coffin on this being the backend of Rachio software and change control being the issue.

well, im on a gen 2, so if you are gen 3, then maybe a bug? i dont know, i personally have not associated rachio with bad code even though we disagree about specific feature, so it would be odd to see such a large variance with the same sensor.

what controller do you have now, i have seem to keep over looking it in the thread.

here is my output for a drip zone on a 15 minute scheduled run

here is my output for a turf zone on a 20 minute schedule run

1 Like

Gen 2 Rachio, brand new CST sensor. You’re using 305 G on a 15 min drip? That’s 20 G/min! I think you have an issue too. Drips are measured in single digit G per hour. Add them up, you would need like 40 drips going to get to 20G/min. Could be accurate, don’t know your sit.

Those settings just adjust the k and o values. With frequencies so high readings will remain high.

The Gen2 firmware does not have any wireless sensor code built into it.

Absolutely, and we used CST sensors. Although, I believe you are using Gen2 model and that firmware was also tested.

Cloud software yes, firmware is obviously different because hardware is different. The flow measurement algorithms for wired sensors is the same on both.

Your configuration looks correct on our end, and if there was a widespread decimal issue all wired sensors would be affected.

This is not a bad test, because at this point we can’t tell if this is a Gen2 firmware, Gen2 hardware issue, or a CST sensor issue. We haven’t seen an issue like this reported for that type of sensor previously though and we have other users using it.

2 Likes

Flow sensor on the way. What’s warranty on this G2? I have receipt stating I bought it at Lowes on 8/17/17.

Here is the full description https://rachio.com/warranty/, sounds like you are covered.

It’s a pretty big drip line.

30 feet of spaghetti drip, 15 hydrangeas, 2 blue atlas, a deodor cedar and 2 maples

Hey Rachio!

Where is this headed?

Thanks.

Update, you guys will like this. The licensed, insured, commercial landscaping company we hired who did the initial sprinkler manifold install and drip line runs installed the COTS flow sensor. They got the pvc glue on the sensor wheel. I’ll attached pics but videos aren’t allowed.

2 Likes

Can’t figure out how to edit last post. CTS flow sensor and I swapped it out and for the new posted readings. It must have been bouncing back and forth on the clump of glue. Is there a way to reset the water used for the month or all together? Since I’m in the billions, I’d like to reset it all back to 0.

Unfortunately we do not support usage reset. it will automatically reset next month. Under zone screen you can see daily usage.

Wow, what hacks!