Flex Schedule setup for one day a week watering

Very cool! Agrihoods are very trendy.

It would be awesome if the developer follows through. Agritopia in Gilbert is an example of a sustainable, successful agrihood. Agriburbia out of Golden, CO is a developer of agrihoods.

If you haven’t eaten at Joe’s Farm Grill, give it a try. It was featured on Guy Fieri’s “Diner’s, Drive-ins and Dives”.
I’m sure anyone interested in gardening would love to wander around the place and grab a bite.

2 Likes

@sunny Joe’s Farm Grill is awesome. I love the neighborhood attached to it as well. Sorta like the movie Truman.

1 Like

Never heard of it. If I feel like driving an hour someday to do something I’ll add that to the list

Did you know that all the golf courses in Scottsdale are irrigated with reclaimed water? Please don’t blame the golf courses. They have the highest visibility bUT have the highest degree of water management. Look to places like Chandler where HOAs mandate turf.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone’s intent was to blame just the golf courses. My comment started with pools & golf courses, but we ended up at the courses due to the latest local news. The general idea is that if it weren’t for human intervention, there would just be a ton of natural, extremely dry desert here. Reconcile that with us not having restrictions just seems off.

1 Like

Arizona was VERY forward thinking with the reservoir system as well as the CAP system. Our reservoir system many years stays surprisingly close to capacity and just a few years ago they had to release water because they were over capacity.

Almost any golf course built in the last 15 years is being watered with reclaimed water. Many older courses have switched over, so they actually have a very low impact on things.

Chandler believe it or not actually produces more reclaimed water than any other city and again, most newer housing developments can utilize effluent water for residential irrigation systems. My parents had it at their house built in 1998, but my dad switched off it because it was constantly clogging the sprinkler heads. A simple filter system would have fixed that…

2 Likes

I understand what you mean. So much of the time golf courses are the whipping boy for water waste. In Arizona they are vital to the states tourism industry. From what i recall from AWWA, golf courses use about 3 percent of the water. Agriculture is the largest consumer of water.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t they say almonds or something like that accounts for a ton of water usage in CA?

Not that this thread has gone completely off topic, but here’s some more info. I dug up from here.

AZ average annual acre-feet of water usage for 2001-2005. One acre-foot is the amount of water required to cover one acre of area to the depth of one foot: 325,851 gallons.

DEMAND

Do the math and that translates to over 2 trillion gallons of state water consumption per year!

SUPPLY

I had no idea we use that much groundwater. Note that ‘Effluent’ is reclaimed water. On the golf usage, I found the tables below from this AMA data source.

So Phoenix averages 1,030,400 acre-feet of water from all sources. Golf courses account for about 10% of that amount, 23% of which is effluent water. Accordingly, about 7.7% of Phoenix’s total water usage in 2006 was non-reclaimed water used for golf courses.

These are 2006 numbers. For whatever reason I couldn’t find more current numbers. Hopefully the situation has improved!

1 Like

Fascinating. I remember hearing that in Oklahoma, agriculture uses 90 percent of the water. So much of former farmland around Phoenix are now covered in homes.

1 Like

I remember a lot of cotton fields and dairy when I moved here in '94 that are long gone. I’m pretty sure my house sits on top of one of them.

1 Like

Yep, I am aware that many golf courses use reclaimed wastewater (effluent), but I am also aware that golf courses in the Phoenix area use more water than anywhere else in the US and that not all the water is effluent. It’s also surface and groundwater.

2 Likes

I had family that lived in Goodyear during the 1960s. My cousin was a VoAg teacher there. Phoenix was such a pleasant place back then. Goodyear was all cotton fields. Lots of citrus and dairies too in the area. Fields were irrigated from an extensive network of canals. Many of these canals are still around today.

2 Likes

The fact that the Phoenix area has no water restrictions is unbelievable. It’s just not sustainable. I watch each morning as the neighbor waters a small patch of grass in the front yard and a good amount of water ends up on the sidewalk and in the gutter.

Cotton fields, the Baseline flower gardens, sugar beets in the West Valley, citrus groves in Mesa–mostly gone as the land is more valuable for development. Those were all high water users.

The Salt River actually had water in it and it flooded!

1 Like

Not only that, but some cities around here give rebates for buying and installing a smart irrigation controllers. Phoenix doesn’t give out a dime.

1 Like

Wow, that’s just not right. Where is the incentive to conserve water??? Most people don’t think about water usage and the fact we are in a desert. (Except when the temps are 112+ :smile:)

@azdavidr, you are making the effort to educate yourself and have done a great job figuring out drip systems for desert use.

At the very least an “atta-boy” and the self-satisfaction that you are doing your part! :wink:

2 Likes