Essential parts of a drip system - suggestions

I’m working on my first drip system. I installed 4 zones of drip line (Netafim inline, 0.9GPM). I bought a Rachio controller and I’m not quite sure how to connect the two together. I would be very grateful is someone could spell out all the necessary parts.

I understand from reading these forums that I need solenoid valves (indexing?) - presumably one per each zone, is that correct? Anything else I need? Any advice on brands of valves? Do I need a rain sensor?

Sorry, my questions are quite basic.

Thanks much.
Lidia

One valve per zone. You’ll need to reduce the pressure to 30psi. Most of the big names, Rain Bird, Hunter, Irritrol, etc., will have what’s called a “drip kit” set up. It will have the valve, filter, and pressure regulator. Netafim will have fittings to adapt drip line to a threaded fitting.

If you want on site rain/freeze detection, get a rain/freeze sensor. If there is a local irrigation supply, go and ask them questions. They should be happy to help.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

2 Likes

Thank you for a response. I did not describe the situation properly: I have 4 zones installed right now and working with an Orbit timer on each zone. I already have a pressure regulator on each zone as well. I want to replace my Orbit timers with one Rachio controller for all zones. I thought I could get some recommendations here as to the connecting pieces between my current zones and the controller. Seems that the solenoid valves are the only missing link (any advice on different types, or is there no difference?). Rain detector sounds good.

Thank you once again.

Lidia

1 Like

Are these Orbit hose bib timers?

Can you post a picture?

I’m attaching photo of one of the Orbit timers - that’s in the back of the house, I have bigger one in the front. Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay.

orbit_IMG_2994

Here is the view from in the front of the house.

orbit_IMG_2965

One small bit of advice when using the Rachio with a drip system try and install the dripper uniformly following the technical specs for the dripline ie 300-400 mm row spacing’s this means you can calculate irrigation in mm and it will be uniform. ie number of emitters x emitter flow rate / irrigated area, there is no benefit to closely spacing the dripline in some areas as you will get uneven irrigation, better to space it and water longer = better infiltration.