Drip run time help Netafim calculator GPH to inches per hour

That would be great @sunny. I’m enjoying the process of learning about our irrigation issues and, more importantly, how to irrigate properly in the desert. Your history about the AMWUA is fascinating, so thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know that the organization went that far back. I guess I just hadn’t given much thought to organizations like that existing, but it’s certainly helpful to have them around.

Sincerely,
DDG

There is a lot to learn about using drip systems. They seem simple, but there is a lot of nuances. I will offer what i refer to as rule one and two for begging drip systems right.

1. Install a quality pressure regulator after the flow control valve to set the pressure in the line to 25 PSI to 35 PSI. I use 35 PSI. Note: This has no relation to having pressure compensating emitters. Those are to slightly compensate for variations in elevation within the main line pressure set (ie +/- 10 ft of water head).
  2. Install a quality 120 to 150 mesh or filter after the flow control valve and before the pressure regulator

If i were to add a third rule, it would be to inspect the field of emitters on a regular basis, and to install them so you can insect them easily. You can bury the tubing or leave it exposed, but the emitters should be inspectable at a glance or you will end up with dead plants. I personally never have less than two emitters per plant, so that if one fails, the plant has a backup source until i notice the missing or plugged emitter on the next inspection.

In line emitters are great for orchards with uniform spacing of plants for hundreds of feet in both X and Y. They are not so good for residential landscape where there is a mixture of plants and spacing. Mix 4GPH with 1/2 GPH and qty and spacing on same line (run time is the same for all).

They would be great is for gardens at the seed stage, but to this day I have never seen a good commercial grade line with emitters at 3" or 4" spacing, still maintaining 1" of water per foot of tubing. The recycled rubber soaker hoses work for about 3 months, then they begin to disintegrate. So far using a combined system of drip sprinklers during sprouting, moving to emitters when the plants have some roots and foliage works the best, but is a bit of a pain.

I think reps from Netafim, Toro, Rain Bird and Hunter would disagree. I do not know any irrigation consultant or designers who spec anything other than 17mm drip tubing with inline self flushing pressure compensating emitters. For areas with no vegetation one uses blank tubing in between sections. Encourage viewing Netafim drip design videos.