Do my eyes deceive me? A Rachio 3.0 update on iOS!

Similar issue here. Deleted the beta and opened the version 3 via the open button in the app store. It said it was already updated. Couldn’t log in.
Deleted app and re-downloaded and now it works.

Though I don’t need the well delay feature, I did bring it up to them during the beta period to make those voices heard again. Would have been trivial to add virtual zones in the scheduling called Well Recovery.

Yes, you can adjust the temp point for freeze delay.

I think the question is more about when and how often Rachio checks the current and/or forecasted low temp for the day, and how it plays into the freeze skip.

During seasons with large daily temperature swings it could be something like 25* at 2AM and 40* by the time a schedule would kick in. If your freeze skip was set to 32* would that be a “skip” day due to a low of 28* happening during the day or a “water” day since it is well above 32* when the schedule should run?

Does it check the current temp just before running the schedule, or does it only check once per day like it does when it checks for predicted rainfall?

Great update!!! Why no zone type for Gardens? :frowning:

Good point. Being in Phoenix, I don’t have a lot of experience with freeze delays, so I have no idea how they work.

Yes, this was exactly my question. I understand you can set a temp threshold, but when is the temperature checked? When we had our first freeze here in FL in 7 years last month, the temperature only dipped to 31 for 2 hours before it was back above freezing, but rachio was watering the whole time.

After searching, someone noted that a temperature check is only done once at a fixed period prior to the start of the schedule - I think I remember reading 1 hour. So if it’s not freezing when Rachio checks temps, but drops below freezing sometime during the schedule run (my schedule runs for 5 hours), you are going to lose shrubbery. Has this been addressed?

@johnny2678 - the way to handle this is an external temperature sensor. Many rain sensors are combined with a temperature sensor. When the temperature sensor is connected to the Rachio sensor port, it will stop a cycle that has started when the temperature threshold is reached. Also, many temperature sensors are not adjustable and they are set at 37 degrees Fahrenheit.

Didn’t know you could connect a temp sensor to the sensor port. Just opened the app and the only options are rain sensor and flow sensor. How do you tell Rachio that a temp sensor is connected?

So custom nozzles are no more, and changing that is easier and more custom tailored to each zone under advanced (which I REALLY like), but there is still a selection for nozzle type. Is this just for reference now, or does this change anything?

@johnny2678 - just make it a rain sensor. You’ll get a message that the “rain sensor” triggered, but if it is February and not raining you’ll know it was because of the temperature.

It appears that the “nozzle inches per hour” changes based on the type of nozzle selected.

There is–it’s just not called “gardens”. The Rachio team very smartly realized that there are too many variables to have just one zone type.

For setting up veggie or flower gardens, there are choices for annuals or perennials. Vegetables are mostly annuals, with cool season and warm season varieties. A few exceptions would be asparagus, artichokes, rhubarb & horseradish, which are perennials.

I love the fact that I can choose soil type and type of spray head or emitter and sun exposure among other settings.

As for flower gardens, well–there’s too much to cover in this post, but flowers can be annuals, perennials or biennials. Depending on the geographic location and climate a flower may grow as a perennial in one location or in another location, act as if it were an annual.

Kudos to the team for providing so many possible choices so each user can customize settings for optimal watering.

If you want to post a specific question, I may be able to offer some suggestions.:slightly_smiling_face:

Great reply! Thanks for the explanation.

Hey @tmcgahey-

This affects if we apply Cycle and Soak or not- turf=yes, drip=no! Other than that, no impact.

McKynzee

Makes sense…so I’m guessing drip and turf can be on the same program now without disabling the cycle and soak feature?