I have two sprinkler timers . One controls the backyard and is located outside and the other controls the front yard and is located in my garage. Not sure how many zones in each but wanted to combine to one Rachio located in the garage, so that I could keep it indoors and don’t have to mess with a weather box for an outside one. House was built in 2006 on a 10k sq ft lot. What do I have to do to combine them so I can use one Rachio in my garage to control front and back? Easy DIY or get professionals?
You may be able to do this yourself if you are handy with digging and connecting a few wires.
- Find out how many total zones are on the outside controller.
- Run a multistrand 18 AWG cable that will allow you at least 2 or 3 spares for future use.
- Bury the cables at least 10 to 12 inches if possible.
- Connect the garage and the outside controller cables to your new Rachio Controller.
- Be sure to properly splice the cables from your outdoor controller to the new cable that will run to the garage.
If you have more than 8 total stations, then you will need to get the 16 station Rachio controller to make all this happen. I would recommend getting the Gen 3 controller since there are more features and accessories available for it like the Wireless Flow Sensor.and other items that may come in the future.
If all of that seems overwhelming, I would consult a professional so that you have peace of mind that the installation is done correctly and conforms to your local codes.