Australian - use

I just got my Rachio 3 here in Australia, just wondering is the power supply the same for the 2 and 3. That is do the ones you’ve linked to work for a Gen 3?

Cheers!

@JohnDoh

The power supply for the Gen2/Gen3 is the same. Do note that for the Gen3 you will want to one with a right angle since the form factor of the Gen3 is different.

:cheers:

Great thanks for that I was going to pick up a straight connector tomorrow, will rethink!

Here is a better picture for you,

Also curious how weather intelligence plus is down there. I would recommend choosing a PWS station and seeing how many options you have to choose from.

Screenshot from 2018-05-20 01-47-13

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll let you know how Weather Intelligence is once I get it powered up!

I’m new to Rachio, so not sure,

is that what you’re interested in seeing?

If you toggle to ‘Weather Station’ (from Weather Network) curious how many PWS are around you.

Screenshot from 2018-05-21 12-33-31

There’s a few near by

https://youtu.be/XvLr85hsXlo this user at least is succesful with gen 2

1 Like
2 Likes

Hi @JohnDoh what power supply with a right angle did you go for in the end? Where did you buy it?

FI just bought a bare end adapter from jay car and used the white cable and right angle plug from the Rachio adaptor
https://www.jaycar.com.au/mains-adaptor-24vac-1a-unregulated-bare-ends/p/MP3032

1 Like

@Franz, any chance of shipping with auto switching 110/240v power supply in future? Or just option of 240v

1 Like

Hi MDNZ,

Would you mind showing me a photo of your set up so i can copy it.

I dont understand how u used the white cable from the bare end adaptor as well as the right angle plug from the rachio adaptor.

Can i just use both cables form the bare end adaptor into the +ve and -ve 24V slots (on the far right of the rachio wire input panel)?

I tried using a USA to NZ adaptor plug in front of the american ended rachio plug supplied and blew a fuse.

Any help much appreciated as I have had limited success trying to set up my rachio 3 in NZ.

Also are you using Gen 3 or Gen 2?

Cheers

@wateringcan - what @mdnz did was to cut (:scream:) the white wire from the Rachio power supply and then splice the cut end of the Rachio power cord (with the right angle plug) onto the bare ends from the power supply. It doesn’t matter which wire is connected to which from the power supply. The cut piece can be as long or as short as one would like, but I’d give myself at least 6 inches (hmm what is that in metric) to play with. One can also shorten the wire from the adapter to have less slack in the wire.

1 Like

Cheers DLane I understand now.

Thanks @DLane, that’s exactly the case.
I possibly should have been a little clearer of cut and splice/join

@wateringcan, I am happy to send you any further info if needed

1 Like

Thats ok, all good cheers.

Instead of splicing the cable from the Rachio supplied adapter - I bought a 2.1mm plug from Jaycar also, trimmed the top of the plastic (see photo), so that it would fit inside the unit instead of a 90 degree plug. Soldering the Jaycar power supply with bare wires was super easy!. Jaycar code for plug was PPO510.

If you didnt have a Torx driver to open the unit, Jaycar also have a kit TD2021. A T15 Torx unit worked for me. Hope that helps!

1 Like

I’m looking at purchasing the Rachio3 for use in NZ. A couple of questions, does the seasonal adjust work correctly? I read that an Aus user was having issues with watering increasing heading towards southern hemisphere winter and the second question, does the hyperlocal weather thing work outside if USA, ie should I buy the dearer or the cheaper version.

Thoughts appreciated