Apple HomeKit for iOS

ehhh if he/she has an NDA they just violated it!!! :slight_smile:

That’s what friends are for. Plus, Apple knows this happens. They just want legal recourse when someone builds an open source bridge. https://github.com/htreu/OpenHAB-HomeKit-Bridge

1 Like

No misreading, I understand the irrigation model has not been added, but there are those here that I have read that think home kit is a fad or just a marketing gimmick it is not. A secure hardware environment takes time to implement unlike most of the other home automation schemes on the market that are basically software driven.

Would really like to see HomeKit compatibility here. I’m slowly adding smart devices to my house but I won’t add anything that doesnt have HomeKit compatibility as our entire electronic eco system is Apple.

1 Like

Agree with HomeKit, would really love to see this integration! Love the Rachio Gen2 and think HomeKit would make for a very solid user base for Rachio as a company. Understand from reading through this post that there are a number of challenges, however…

2 Likes

You need to take it up with Apple, not rachio…

Umm, No. That is not correct. There are hardware requirements that need to be implemented in order for a product to be homekit compatible. So it is up to Rachio to implement that, not Apple.

well aware of the hardware requirement but HomeKit needs irrigation support first, you can’t get certified if they don’t support it, dig through api and you will see what I’m talking about.

Plus if you have gen 2, iOS and some curiosity you will see that the hardware is there, how do you think it latches onto the wifi without entering a password?

I don’t k ow for certain the hardware is compatible but I do know that apple will not allow rachio software to access the wifi password, nor will the kernel transmit it to a remote server without a certain level of integration with wac which from my understanding Shares a lot of commonality with HomeKit encryption

1 Like

These guys claim that the Gen2 hardware is HomeKit compatible:

Very interesting read George. Thanks for posting that.

I’m hoping to begin a topic and discussion around homekit integration. I’m interested in your roadmap regarding decisions to support or not support any specific technology (especially when it specifically correlates to your product space). It seems Homekit integration has been of interest to the community as far back as 2014. Thanks, I look forward to the discussion.

Unfortunately, on September 13th, they removed the references to Apple HomeKit. Strange…

Please add my vote for the addition of at least being able to control the app through Siri.

3 Likes

Are people’s concerns based on security or convenience? I’m not an IT expert so I can’t comment from that side, but from a convenience stand point, I don’t think another app is going to kill anyone (half of you probably have 5 different versions of angry birds loaded on your phones right now - I’d be more worried about that). In addition to that, once you get it dialed in you shouldn’t be playing around in the app much. I log in to goof around and check the forums more than I do to make adjustments. Set it to flex and go about your life.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Another +1 for HomeKit.

1 Like

Count me in this group too. I’m looking to purchase a Rachio but won’t be doing so until they support Homekit. Especailly in light of the recent DDoS attacks.

1 Like

I don’t see where HomeKit itself supports irrigation products?! This picture is from Apple’s 2016 WWDC.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for HomeKit. You guys avoided adding the security in the first place and look at all the hacks / bots popping up in similar unprotected internet devices

1 Like