3 controllers, 3 flow meters!

Still waiting for my 3 flow meters.

Hehe. Same here. Month is nearing end.

Yes, thought about this design - however, if two controllers run at the same time, two valves are open. Then you do have no idea how much water hits each zone on each controller individually. With same sized valves/pipes, you would just see 50% of the total flow, but not which zone gets what.

I plan on using a set schedule, thus no conflicts. See my sketch. Posted earlier.

https://community.rachio.com/uploads/db1097/original/2X/6/619473cb7aa193d14bd96d1cf5c9bd6d7c2fa4ab.jpg

I did a similar system with only 1 master valve and 3 WFM but they were inline. Each controller runs to the same valve but each one has a diode which protects the integrity of each common on each system but share 1 master valve. The flow meters go inline in a series set up since a parallel set up would cause an inaccurate flow reading per flow meter.

Yours makes sense and only costs a few dollars more to make it happen.

1 Like

I have 30 stations and must use 2 Rachio Gen3 controllers. I am installing Wireless Flow Sensors (WFS). Should I mount these in parallel with each WFS having its own master valve (as the original poster proposed)? Or should I mount them in-line with only 1 master valve (as spscoutenPhD stated)? If do mount the 2 WFS in-line, how much pipe do I need to have between each WFS? In my set-up, the line will be horizontal.

For me, getting accurate water usage measurements is the most important for me.

Thank you for your help!

You can mount them in parallel with one master valve as long as you use electronic protection and that the pipes can join after each flow meter.

Otherwise you would need to run two Master valves which would have one for each controller.

1 Like

@JimBobSD - I’d install the Wireless Flow Meters in parallel with their own master valve. More of a KISS approach. That way if Rachio checks the inactive Wireless Flow Meter for usage (leak) it won’t be a false alarm.

1 Like

Thanks both for the quick replies. I think Ill go the two MV and two WFMs.

2 Likes

When in doubt, keep it safe and as @DLane said, “Keep it Simple”. Your troubleshooting will be easier with each on on its own master and flow sensor.

Let us know how it turns out. There are others reading this that can benefit from the comments here.

3 Likes

It turns out the line out of the backflow is 1 1/4” PVC pipe. What do you all recommend for the type of master valves and couplings to use?

Does it make sense to go from the backflow’s 1 1/4" PVC -> 1 1/4" T -> (two branches) 1 1/4" PVC -> 1 1/2" PVC Master -> 1" PVC (6 inches) -> Rachio WFS -> 1" PVC (6 inches) -> 1 1/4" PVC -> T (two branches combine) -> 1 1/4" PVC (master line).

Any suggestions or criticisms there?

Thanks in advance

That may be a feasable connection. I would give a little bit more length after the WFS to get better accuracy.

@franz, @emil,
I have finally installed my WFM’s. See pictures. I installed valves to bypass the WFM’s if needed. I am using 3 master valves, 3 WFM’s. Pairing went very smoothly. WFM’s bypassed right now. I have I question, how do you winterize the WFM’s?

3 Likes

That turned out pretty nice. Way to go and nice looking work.

1 Like

@franz, @emil,

Thanks!
Do you know how to winterize the WFM’s?

@franz, @emil,
I only gave myself 16" before and 8" of 1" pipe not including the connections and WFM. Do you think I have compromised the accuracy of the WFM. I can always add two more boxes after the WFM to give me an additional 24" of length. You thoughts.

Hey @jsore!

No need to winterize your Wireless Flow Meter. It will stay in place during winterization, blowouts, and system maintenance. :slight_smile:

As long as you have 14" of straight pipe between the backflow preventer and the valve box, you will be just fine.

:cheers:

1 Like

Should I place insulating material in the valve box holding the WFM’s. I do blowout my system every fall.

How do i handle the controllers, turn them off, un-plug them or what?

Maybe a winterization article is in order.

1 Like

Great questions, @jsore!

Here is one article on some winterization basics.

There’s also some great winterization advice from @robertokc here and a great winterization site using the Rachio API from @schaeferb. :slight_smile:

Hopefully all of this can help!

:cheers:

1 Like