You need a Windows 10 Universal (UWP)?

I have asked before and it appears so have others. A Windows 10 UWP app is really needed. Some of us only have a work cell phone which we are not permitted to install apps on and the “web app” is slow and buggy. Windows 2 in 1s are the most popular class of traditional computing devices and growing and they use touchscreens. Using a web app for this is not at all user friendly. It is often slow and renders oddly on some screen sizes and is not even a responsive design. Even worse is right now we are asked to install only one browser, Chrome. This is like a flashback to early 2000s with, “best viewed in IE.” The web app at the very least should be standards based. I use own a Surface Pro 3 and use a Surface Book for work and Google Chrome is a resource hog and works horribly on Windows 2 in 1s with touchscreens. I use Edge but your “web app” improperly labels Edge as IE, which isn’t correct. Edge is standards complaint and works the same as Chrome on standards complaint websites.

Really though this could be easily remedied by supporting the 300+ million and growing Windows 10 users with a UWP app. There is even a porting tool called Islandwood that can help you start the translation process. If you create it as a UWP app you can support any Windows 10 device including desktops, tablets, phones, Xbox, and even IoT. Just think about a raspberry pi with Windows 10 and a small touchscreen running a Rachio UWP app dedicated to controlling and giving information on the Iro installed in your house. It could be mounted to a wall showing weather and status and make adjustments crazy easy. It would be a cheap and slick setup. Or even people using the Xbox One for their living room main controller for TV and all getting notifications right on their TV. This and a lot more can be done from a single UWP app. There is are even examples of how to make a scalable UI that adapts to different screen sizes and platforms.

If you don’t want to use Islandwood to port as it admittedly still has SDK limitations then you can use the Xamarin tools, now free as part of Visual Studio to create a app that works on Android, iOS, and Windows within 1 development tool so no separate support. Only platform adjustments need to be made because it obfuscates the platform making cross platform development and support much easier.

I implore you guys to look into this and see the potential you have for expansion while reducing overhead.

3 Likes