What Soil Type in Rachio is Sharpsburg Silt Loam

So I did a survey on my land area and it comes up that it’s Sharpsburg Silt Loam. I’m trying to determine which soil type to pick in Rachio that best describes this. My lawn was sodded in the summer of 2015 and I core aerated it in the fall of 2016.

This is what I was able to find about my soil, but I am not sure if I should pick Loam, Clay Loam, or Silty Clay.

Sharpsburg Series

TAXONOMIC CLASS: Fine, smectitic, mesic Typic Argiudolls

TYPICAL PEDON: Sharpsburg silty clay loam, on a convex slope of 8 percent, in a cultivated field. (Colors are for moist soil unless otherwise stated.)

Ap–0 to 20 centimeters (0 to 8 inches); black (10YR 2/1) silty clay loam, dark grayish brown (10YR 4/2) dry; weak fine subangular blocky structure; friable; few fine roots; slightly acid; abrupt smooth boundary.

A1–20 to 28 centimeters (8 to 11 inches); very dark brown (10YR 2/2) silty clay loam, dark grayish brown (10YR 4/2) dry; moderate very fine subangular blocky structure; friable; very few fine roots; slightly acid; clear smooth boundary.

A2–28 to 43 centimeters (11 to 17 inches); very dark grayish brown (10YR 3/2) silty clay loam, grayish brown (10YR 5/2) dry; some brown (10YR 4/3) peds; moderate very fine subangular blocky structure; friable; very few fine roots; moderately acid; gradual smooth boundary. [Combined thickness of the A horizon is 25 to 49 centimeters (10 to 20 inches).]

Bt1–43 to 61 centimeters (17 to 24 inches); brown (10YR 4/3) silty clay loam; moderate fine subangular blocky structure parting to weak fine subangular blocky; firm; very few fine roots; common distinct very dark grayish brown (10YR 3/2) clay films on faces of peds; very dark gray (10YR 3/1) organic stains on faces of peds; moderately acid; gradual smooth boundary.

Bt2–61 to 79 centimeters (24 to 31 inches); brown (10YR 4/3) and yellowish brown (10YR 5/4) silty clay loam; weak medium prismatic structure parting to moderate fine subangular blocky; firm; very few fine and medium roots; many distinct dark grayish brown (10YR 4/2) clay films on faces of peds; few fine iron and manganese oxide concretions; few fine distinct light brownish gray (2.5Y 6/2) redoximorphic depletions; moderately acid; gradual smooth boundary.

Bt3–79 to 97 centimeters (31 to 38 inches); brown (10YR 5/3) silty clay loam; weak medium prismatic structure parting to weak medium subangular blocky; firm; very few fine and medium roots; many prominent grayish brown (10YR 5/2) clay films on faces of peds; few fine iron and manganese oxide concretions; common medium faint light brownish gray (2.5Y 6/2) redoximorphic depletions; common medium prominent strong brown (7.5YR 5/6) redoximorphic concentrations; moderately acid; gradual smooth boundary. [Combined thickness of the Bt horizon is 50 to 100 centimeters (20 to 40 inches).]

BC–97 to 117 centimeters (38 to 46 inches); yellowish brown (10YR 5/4) silty clay loam; weak medium prismatic structure; firm; very few fine roots; common distinct grayish brown (10YR 5/2) clay films on faces of peds; few fine iron and manganese oxide concretions; many fine and medium distinct grayish brown (2.5Y 5/2) redoximorphic depletions; common medium prominent strong brown (7.5YR 5/8) redoximorphic concentrations; moderately acid; gradual smooth boundary. [10 to 25 centimeters (4 to 10 inches) thick]

C–117 to 152 centimeters (46 to 60 inches); mottled grayish brown (2.5Y 5/2), yellowish brown (10YR 5/4), and brown (7.5YR 4/4) silty clay loam; massive; firm; very few fine roots; common fine iron and manganese oxide concretions; slightly acid.

The USDA site says this about it:

Typical profile

Ap - 0 to 7 inches: silt loam
Bt - 7 to 48 inches: silty clay loam
C - 48 to 60 inches: silty clay loam
Properties and qualities

Slope: 5 to 9 percent
Depth to restrictive feature: More than 80 inches
Natural drainage class: Moderately well drained
Runoff class: High
Capacity of the most limiting layer to transmit water (Ksat): Moderately high (0.20 to 0.57 in/hr)
Depth to water table: More than 80 inches
Frequency of flooding: None
Frequency of ponding: None
Salinity, maximum in profile: Nonsaline to very slightly saline (0.0 to 2.0 mmhos/cm)
Available water storage in profile: High (about 11.6 inches)

I went ahead and decided on Clay Loam for now. USDA has the soil with an AWS score of 0.23.

1 Like

Hi @BuddyL33!

I think that Clay Loam sounds like your best fit. Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

McKynzee :rachio:

2 Likes