What is with my moisture graphs/schedule?

@azdavidr @tmcgahey to my knowledge, flex won’t alter the run time, right? unless it’s some kind of fill up before our 2 days off on the weekend kind of thing. I don’t have any days off so my system never needs to worry about that, but perhaps that’s a built in feature with having set days off

1 Like

@Modawg2k, I agree when restrictions aren’t involved, but am also unaware of what skip days do.

@tmcgahey, expand it the irrigation row and see where it is attributing the 0.18" on June 2nd.

For some reason, the schedule changes the duration of the run…here is Thursday and Friday.

@mckynzee Is @tmcgahey’s flex schedule doing a shallow watering to prepare him for the 2 days off that are scheduled?

1 Like

Flex will do that when you have day restrictions. It will water shallower than normal a day before the restricted day if it thinks the Moisture Level will drop too much before the restriction is up (and, I assume, if a full watering will fill the zone too much). A prior thread (from last year) mentioned this and I’ve seen it on mine.

3 Likes

If this is the case, I might have to lift the restriction and see if that affects my mowing. If it doesn’t cause me issues with mowing, I’ll leave it alone and see if it will even out my moisture graphs and in turn make my AD actually work…

@tmcgahey With what @briansusername said, are you married to the mowing the lawn on weekends? How about putting a rain delay on friday night or something. It’s more involved than what you are doing, but things may behave a little bit more normal.

Or, if you water on a saturday, it’s not like the grass will be that wet on a sunday with our heat and bermuda being short anyways

Here’s what I do @tmcgahey.

The post refers to ‘Skip Watering Time’ because I was on ‘Fixed’ at the time. Later, when I changed to Flex the ‘then’ became ‘Rain Delay’.

It works great. I have a calendar entry in my google calendar that I repeat every other Saturday when my landscaper is due to come out. If Flex wanted to water on Saturday it just waits until Sunday.

1 Like

That’s actually what I’m doing now. I mow on Fridays or Saturdays, but I’m not consistent. So I set an alarm on my phone for every Thursday night to remind me to set a rain delay if I am going to mow the next day. It’s more work, but I’d almost always rather push watering out a day rather than shallow water on Thursday - which is fairly likely to happen if I am blocking out Friday and Saturday.

I set up the Google calendar to alert me that I have a rain delay planned. If I decide I don’t need the delay I just move the calendar entry. IFTTT takes care of the rest. It’s easy enough since I use Google calendar for other stuff too.

@briansusername Is correct- if your schedule is restricted on a day, and it projects that it will drop below the AD level, it will do a “top off” to ensure it does’t drop below AD. We don’t see it often, but between the two days restricted and the hot temperatures you can see it in action here!

2 Likes

Awesome. I went ahead and lifted the restrictions to see what happens. Immediately it rescheduled and for the first time in over a month, I actually have 2 days in a row with no watering scheduled…

3 Likes

So I suppose that since I just adjusted my schedule on the 14th to not block weekends, it may take a bit to stabilize, but what’s going on here? Why did I water 3 days in a row, 1 day at 98% capacity, the next to maxed out at 109%?

Next week is looking more like I would expect…is this just Rachio taking a bit to figure out its new scheduling?

This makes no sense to me. If it were me, I’d write down all my settings, delete the schedule and set up a new one and see if that straightens things out.

If you make changes, the schedule goes nuts for a while. I posted about it recently and no one at Rachio seemed to care. I guess you just wait it out until it stabilizes.

So I have been on my new schedule (not excluding weekends from watering) for a while now and I would have expected to see any abnormalities subside, but it is still doing some weird stuff…Here is the moisture graph for this week…again, it is coming nowhere near AD and triggering waterings even when already above field capacity… @franz, @mckynzee, anyone have any ideas??

BTW, the week before was even worse :astonished:…6 out of 7 days watering, 5 waterings took place above field capacity.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey @tmcgahey-

I will have our development team review your account. Any chance you can click one week forward so I can check out your forcasted ET? Curious if maybe your forecasts are way off for one reason or another, causing your controller to decide to water and then making it look off when it’s corrected by observed weather.

@dblagent007 I am sorry to hear that your post was not resolved, I will find it and try to answer your question there!

Here is next week. Just like before, it seems to settle out and be more what I would expect to see, bouncing between AD and FC.

I have watched my current weather station and haven’t noticed anything odd. Seems to be pretty accuracte

Looking forward for the next couple weeks, my schedule looks to be what I would expect, but I’ve still been hunting around for a reason as to why I was seeing multiple watering days when the moisture levels were well above AD, and in many cases, above FC…

I stumbled across this under my “Lawn” schedule, although I don’t think this has anything to do with my random watering weeks. I have never been to this screen before, so I can’t say that I adjusted this, but why would it be set to 75%? My drip zones are set to 100%.