What is on tap for next year?

A) There’s a web-based interface? This is news to me.

B) I’ll have to look when I get home to see how simple the interface is, but let’s just say I suspect connecting to and interfacing with a web interface will be beyond the intellectual capacity of this particular gardener.

Yep just browse to app.rach.io and then login and you can remotely control it via the browser:

@kman

There certainly is a web interface. Just go to https://app.rach.io/ and enter in your credentials.

In regards to your gardener, our limited access is pretty clear cut. Once you provide access to your gardener all he/she will have to do is click on the Access Iro link provided in the email and a Rachio webpage will be opened. From there they can manually run your zones. This article reviews how to provide access.

If you have any additional questions dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

Again, you overestimate the technical prowess of my gardener. He does not have an email address. Or own a computer.

We’re not talking about a professional landscaping company with an office and staff. We’re talking about a guy from South America who has a beat up pickup truck with a lawnmower, some clippers, and a couple of shovels in the back, who gets paid in cash.

Nor does he speak more than a few words of English.

Nor does he have a SmartPhone he can use to access a webpage while on site. (although it’s possible he could use an old 3G iPhone if I can make it easy enough) I’m not 100% certain he has a cellphone, although his wife does. (She speaks some broken English and generally manages his schedule to let us know about cancellations and such)

This is not an uncommon scenario in SoCal.

Great idea @Striker169. Just curious, do you have a landscaper that uses limited or complete access?

@kman, I can relate to the simpleness of some gardeners. Perhaps a WeMo switch might be a good work around? We had a user set one up using an IFTTT recipe to trigger a disabled schedule on the Iro. Sounds like it would be perfect for your scenario…just tell him to press the button.

Here’s the details on the WeMo + IFTTT setup.

When you think of Wish #3, let us know :slight_smile:

Interesting use of the smart switch. Is the Iro IFTTT compatible? I guess the WeMo switch can generate a “event” that triggers the IFTTT, which can then trigger the Iro? The thread you linked doesn’t actually give any information on how they actually made it all work. Seems like a good idea, although realistically I’d need a button for each station (which gets pricey pretty fast at ~$50/ea).

Seems to be that the world’s simplest app (4-8 buttons, each runs the associated station for 1 minute per press) that will run on an old Smartphone (just connected to Wifi, no cellular access needed) would make for a stupid-proof remote control that can walk around the property as long as you’re in wifi range. Old phones can be had for the price of one of those Belkin switches, maybe less, if you don’t have one.

Hi @kman, yep the Iro is compatible with IFTTT. Here’s some details on how to set up a recipe.

Hmm, good question. I’ve never set one up myself, but will look into the details. I think the configuration was setup to run a schedule after “x” seconds of pushing the button. It sounds like you’d like your gardener to be able to run any zone on command?

Good point and great idea. I’ve just been trying to think of work around for you in the short term. I remember a user created a handy web tool to speed up sprinkler winterizations. Perhaps this could be used on an older phone (or tablet) via an internet browser…would just need to keep the phone charged :wink:

Can you find a way to turn on Zones 1 and 7 when my neighbors walk their dogs on my grass?

3 Likes

@EIEIO, do you have a camera setup to keep an eye on the pups? If so, we might be able to use this IFTTT recipe :wink:

1 Like

+1 for Weather Underground PWS’…the ones in my neighborhood in the rachio app are few/far between and unreliable. On weather underground there seem to be a lot more.

1 Like

1 - flow sensor integration / comparison to calculated values

2 - Better display of calculated flow rate per zone

3 - Scheduled watering times shown properly on web (smart schedule split) along w/ totals for each zone. Possibly gallons as well.

4 - Totals for each zone listed on the app when reviewing the schedules (with regard to smart schedule). Gallons as well.

1 Like

Wish #1

I use my Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus and a meteohub to send my data to WU and PWS.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=38.816%2C-77.099&sp=KVAALEXA13

http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KVAALEXA13.html

Wish #6

You can send your gardener a link with limited access.

We do support PWS, are you not seeing your station?

We already have this feature, is this what you were looking for?

http://support.rachio.com/article/342-landscaper-access-new

:cheers:

Franz,

Perhaps I didn’t reply correctly to a poster. I was trying to let a member know that the features exist and that I’ve been using them. thanks for the quick response though.

Ah ok, and here I was thinking your wishes were already answered :wink:

:cheers:

@brkaus, could you expand on this wish? Are you requesting a different way to configure & setup custom nozzles? Or is this related to reports?

Are you referring to the My Yard card on the web app?

Here’s the same view on mobile (iOS)…

Are you referring to the differences in zones 2 & 3?

Are you looking for zone watering durations for Flex schedules? If so, follow these steps to edit your Flex schedule watering durations:

1. Go into the Watering Schedule card, select Edit Watering Schedule
  2. Select the schedule you’d like to review. Scroll down to Zones and tap on the white area that reads “Last Updated…”
  3. The zones will drop down and you can edit the durations for each. For details, please see this support article.

Sounds like you’d like to see estimated gallons used per watering listed as well? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your request.

Yes, there are several ways I can spend $100+ on still more gear, so that I can upload to services other than WU. (in fact there is an entire thread of discussion on this issue here: Using WUnderground.com to integrate Personal Weather Stations - #67 by Ashishnarang ) The point it, I’d rather not. I’ve already spent $300 on a really nice weather station, and $250 on an internet connected sprinkler controller, and it’s already automatically updating the #2 source of weather on the internet (and probably the #1 non-commercial source other than US Govt sources): Weather Underground. If Rachio could just read from there, I’d be set without having to spend another $100 or so (perhaps less for some DIY solutions that require a lot of work, but that’s not the point) just to upload my weather data to a different location.

As to the gardener issue, I guess you didn’t read all the subsequent posts discussing why the current limited access implementation doesn’t work in a lot of situations. (such as non-technical gardeners)

@brkaus, could you expand on this wish? Are you requesting a different way to configure & setup custom nozzles? Or is this related to reports?

Yes, one possibility would be on the edit tab -

Growing XXX in YYY on a ZZZ slope
It gets AAA and used (sprinkler type).
Zone calculated to use XXX GPM

I was referring to the Schedule → Select a Day → Select a Schedule. On the iPhone app it shows the soak period if I recall correctly.

My other request was to basically show gallons in addition to time on the schedule. Basically, I’m very cost sensitive with our water prices and total gallons is as interesting as duration to me.

Thanks for the other link on flex schedules. I had read that a few weeks back, but couldn’t find it again.

Thanks for the link to the limited access sharing. The limited access share link would work in conjunction with an old wifi smart phone/pad. Enough to help me anyway. Not sure what other options would be available in a cost effective manner… Need to keep thinking about this one.

HomeKit integration.