What changed in flex scheduling?

Similar deal here. I don’t remember this type of frequency even when it was 115F.

1 Like

@azdavidr your crop coefficient is the default for cool grass (.7) and not the warm (0.65), any reason you are doing that? It’s giving you some crazy 0.3+ ET figures

Yep, I’m pretty much back to this post last year.

I just dethatched yesterday. My son is outside aerating as we speak. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got 2 boys, 1 on the way, so some day i’ll have a whole landscape crew for my yard.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve heard it before, and will say it yourself one day. Enjoy it while you can, it goes by fast! Anyway, mine is off to college in August. I figured he should learn how to detatch and aerate before he goes off to spread his wings. :wink:

3 Likes

@dblagent007

I pulled some data regarding your ET just to verify that the algorithms are generating similar last year/this year.

You’ll notice similar ET data, but one is from July of last year. The main factor that is affecting the difference here is windspeed.

Raw ET 0.309
Date 2017-05-29
Max Temp 78
Min Temp 51
Station KHIF
Humidity avg 0.37
Windspeed avg 12.3
Dewpoint avg 37.04
Cloud cover avg 0

Raw ET 0.307
Date 2016-07-01
Max Temp 85
Min Temp 64
Station KHIF
Humidity avg 0.43
Windspeed avg 8.89
Dewpoint avg 49.82
Cloud cover avg 0.1

@azdavidr Here is some of your data, just as high ET last year :wink:

Raw ET 0.4
Date 2017-06-03
Max Temp 105
Min Temp 78
Station KPHX
Humidity avg 0.15
Windspeed avg 7.21
Dewpoint avg 37.22
Cloud cover avg 0.34

Raw ET 0.39
Date 2016-06-11
Max Temp 100
Min Temp 80
Station KPHX
Humidity avg 0.34
Windspeed avg 10.07
Dewpoint avg 57.56
Cloud cover avg 0.43

I also reviewed the ET calculator code and it has not changed.

@runner1717 @dblagent007 @azdavidr @Modawg2k

I would adjust your crop coefficient down (less frequency, no change in duration) if you want to water less days.

:cheers:

2 Likes

@franz

Can you compare my data from last year as well?

Seeing the same type of data from last/this year. Higher on the third due to bit higher wind and less cloud coverage.

Raw ET 0.273
Date 2017-06-03
Max Temp 85
Min Temp 62
Station KJYR
Humidity avg 0.6
Windspeed avg 7.33
Dewpoint avg 58.64
Cloud cover avg 0.04

Raw ET 0.247
Date 2016-06-13
Max Temp 85
Min Temp 71
Station KJYR
Humidity avg 0.69
Windspeed avg 5.97
Dewpoint avg 65.84
Cloud cover avg 0.2

1 Like

Had same observation and suspicion that something changed. Modified crop coefficient downward, adjusted amount of shade by zone (very seasonal in my yard), used FILL after big rain event. Next to my struggles to pull the right precipitation data into rachio, with the 110% threshold I am not getting the “benefit” of a saturated soil, and have to compensate with a FILL a day or two after the rain to keep moisture levels from dropping too quickly. My ET though looks reasonably consistent with my weather observation. It feels that I am getting there, but it is not where I left the system in fall.

1 Like

Not that any of you would have this situation, but the Hubs and I have different, um, philosophies on watering, he would change a setting or manually water a zone or set a rain skip and I wouldn’t know.

Just recently he said, " Rachio is going crazy." I explained it was the cycle and soak and that’s exactly what should happen. A few days later, after a similar conversation, he asks, “Are you sure?” :grin:

2 Likes

So I went back and looked at the data on all my waterings from last year, and I am the crazy one, I think – the waterings are spacing about the same time apart. The only change I’ve noticed that is a problem (and I didn’t have much of this happen last year), is that when I get lots of rain two or more days in a row, the flex daily system wants to water before even the very surface of the soil is dry.

1 Like

I couldn’t imagine having two cooks in the kitchen on this one, I need full control

2 Likes

Franz, I logged into my Rachio using the website, changed the root depth of my grass zones, and the watering frequency didn’t change. However, I changed the root depth of my planter bed zones, the watering frequency changed massively.

For example, Zone 1 is grass. Before I made any changes, the root depth was set at 8 inches and it said the last time it watered was on June 6 and that it will water again on June 9. I changed the root depth to 25 inches. It still says the last time it watered was June 6 and that it will water again on June 9. I left it set at 25 inches.

Zone 7 is for planter beds. Before I made any changes, the root depth was set at 10 inches, the last time it watered was on June 6, and it would water again on June 10. I changed the root depth to 25 inches and it immediately changed the date it will water again to June 20. I changed the root depth back to 10 inches.

Something isn’t right here. Last year, changing the root depth of my lawn massively changed the water frequency.

After changing and saving, I would make sure you refresh the webapp and looking at the moisture graph again. It could be caching that data.

If I remember right @Linn, they dropped the max moisture levels on the charts from 120% down to 110% sometime last year. That could explain why it starts watering sooner.

1 Like

+1. One of the things I love about this controller is that my landscaper can’t mess with it if he tried. On my old Hunter I used to try to dial things in, then the landscaper comes and cranks things up, confuses valves/zones, etc. I don’t miss those days at all.

1 Like

So it turns out that I am crazy. Thanks for taking the time on this!

1 Like

Add ‘me too.’ I’m in the Dallas area (75074).

I set a 13 month high this past month, May. see http://www.welserver.com/perl/plot/WEL0343/Sprinkler2.png . June of last year was 26 hours total for all zones running. May, last month, was 27 hours total.

I changed my zones containing flowers from ‘annuals’ to ‘warm-season grass.’

I refreshed the webapp multiple times (I didn’t mention that in my post, however). I also logged in with my phone app last night and this morning and it shows the same thing as the webapp - Zone 1 has 25 in root depth but the planned water date didn’t change - it’s still June 9.

It could be just depleted. What do future waterings look like? They should be much more infrequent.