Water Usage Tiers with Different Pricing and limiting usage

Some communities implement tiered water usage rates, and charge higher pricing for higher tiered usage. This idea came from a relative I was encouraging to use rachio…

(here’s a few examples from random communities (google search)

It would be nice for those using a rachio controller with a flow meter to have the ability to program a gallon (or cubic foot) threshold, with which watering would cease without manual override - to help them control costs.

For example in the Las Vegas example - if I use over 6,800 gallons (single family 3/4" meter) my water is more expensive, so I might estimate my average household usage, and then say - I want to limit my watering to 4000 gallons for the month - to try and keep under the 6800 threshold.

There are definitely some complications here - the user would need to enter their billing cycle (is it 30 days, monthly, etc.) and the end date fo the cycle.

Additionally - would you support more than one tier limits. - Imagine I limit it to 4000 and that is a good balance with my normal household usage, but then we have a hot /dry month, my household and irrigation usage goes up, so I exceed the limit of 6800 and manually over-rode it for the month, but I don’t want to exceed the second tier limit of 13500 for my household, so I’ve maybe programmed in a second limit of 9000 and I don’t want to exceed it - and so on - notice that Las Vegas has 4 tiers…

By the way not Vegas based - but vegas examples were easy to find…

1 Like