Using WUnderground.com to integrate Personal Weather Stations

OK, well I guess it was good while lasted.
In my case, my AcuRite station does not forward the precip rate to WU, only the running precip accum/total. The WU ā€˜precip accumā€™ is what was populating to PWSWeather as the ā€˜daily precip totalā€™ - until recently. Sounds like they may be making changes. FWIW here is my data from 4/28:

From your screenprint, it sounds like WU is no longer providing the ā€˜precip accumā€™ (which is why it is not forwarding to PWS), but in your case it looks like it is crossing your values. Weird.

The crossing values in my screenshot is my attempt to see if switching the RAININ and DAILYRAININ values made a difference. It didnā€™t

For what itā€™s worth, hereā€™s the response from the pwsweather guy when I wrote him this morning.

Hi John,

The hourly rain has always been a problem because different software and devices send it differently. Some calculate it since the last update, some since the top of the hour and some within the last 60 minutes. We have a number of routines in there to try and come up with a close figure but itā€™s not perfect. We try to do the best we can with the rainin parameter.

Iā€™m going to ask the developers to take another look at rain. I just noticed an anomaly in my numbers for today. Didnā€™t throw the accuracy off, but itā€™s just different.

ā€“
Joe Torsitano
WeatherForYou.com LLC

And thenā€¦

Hi John,

There is a reconciliation program that runs in the morning which compiles all the numbers and comes up with a realistic precipitation number. I havenā€™t checked lately if itā€™s exactly the same as my stations. I actually had some rain today so will probably be looking at that while rain is on my brain.

ā€“
Joe Torsitano
WeatherForYou.com LLC

So maybe changes are coming.

I also posted a question to Weather Underground forums about why the Precip Accum. value isnā€™t in the JSON results. No responses yet, but you can follow here.

Also, the Rachio team can clarify but Precip Accum will affect MAD values. I donā€™t think precip rate affects MAD.

So if we can get this value to show up in the JSON, and load it to PWSweather, I think that will suffice.

Yes/agreed on the precip accum. My flex schedule was adjusting the moisture levels based on my weather stationā€™s precip accum/daily precip that was getting sent to PWS weather. It seems WU mysteriously took it out and if they put it back in we are back in business w/ the script. I really hope that next year the Rachio team will directly integrate with WU. Thank you.

Its a miracle! I just looked at my PWSweather station and daily precip totals are now getting populated again from WU! They started showing up as of 12:01AM today (nothing showed up at all yesterday - or since 5/1). Somebody must have made a change at WU per your post and got it back into the json. Lets hope this sticks.

Well, guess someone was listening :wink:

I can confirm that the precip_today_in JSON value is now populatingā€¦

2 Likes

I think the power Rachio would have by creating a Vera plugin would make the opportunities limitless. All the sensors and external plugin/api information it has available today could create even more robust logic in when and how long to water lawns and plants. Please create a Rachio plugin for Vera.

Thanks for the suggestion! Weā€™ll take a look.

Is there any chance of using WU PWS in the near future?

1 Like

At the moment, we donā€™t have plans to directly integrate WU PWS into Rachio. However, you can use this workaround to get WU data: http://support.rachio.com/article/380-connecting-weatherunderground-to-your-iro

Have a great day!

+1 to add direct WUnderground support, honestly I canā€™t understand the problem to add this supportā€¦
For international users like me (Iā€™m from Austria) it will open the door to use Rachio instead of other solutions!

6 Likes

+1 for WUnderground support.

I have an Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP Weather Station but canā€™t currently use it with my Rachio. Instead it wants to use a weather station a couple miles away which receives sinificantly different rainfall, when it does rain here in Tucson. I see there are some workarounds available but Iā€™m not interested in sinking more $'s into this system to make it work as advertised.

3 Likes

Can you help us understand why?

Does weather snoop and the machine itā€™s on need to be running 24/7 for this workaround to work?

@emil, do you know the answer to this? I believe yes, but Iā€™d love a clarification.

@7ryder, integration WU directly into Rachio comes with a subscription cost.

Question for you: is something youā€™d be willing to pay for?

@benblackmer thanks for the reply.

Iā€™m not really familiar with the API pricing at WU, but I took a quick look and pricing doesnā€™t seem too unreasonable.

If rachio didnā€™t use a cloud service, and used direct access like RainMachine, it appears that it would cost rachio customer $0/month, right?

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/pricing.html?MR=1 it looks like I could get a developer API license for free. And according to this website, https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000017485-getting-a-weather-api-key a free basic account is more than adequate.

But, because rachio uses the cloud, we canā€™t use this option, correct? So, would rachioā€™s installed base make more than 100,000 calls per day to WU? if not, it would cost no more than $200/month for every customer.

Am I correct about the pricing or am I missing something?

At any rate, what would the cost/month be to offer it? And if this is the only thing holding back rachio from offering this, why not make it optional and let the customer decide?

Thanks @7ryder. Appreciate all the comments.

Weā€™re still evaluating different weather options for next year. Along those lines, what would you pay for a direct integration with WU?

Hmmmā€¦ I have a raspberry pi laying around and am going to try this! Thanks!

2 Likes

Working like a champ! Thanks for getting this together!

2 Likes