Using WUnderground.com to integrate Personal Weather Stations

Confused noob here. What is this all about?

tldr: Previously there was no way to directly use weather underground data with Rachio. A workaround using a free API key, previously available from wunderground, is no longer possible. Previously established free keys continue to work so far, but no one knows when this may change.

If you don’t need a workaround to use WU data (such as you having a WI+ support from Rachio), than there is nothing to worry about. For everyone else I recommend to use beta.wufyi.com.

Cheers,
Gene

How can we use that url without api key? I thought you needed api from wunderground? I am just trying to translate a station near me into pwsweather so I can use it. -update just saw the beta url, going to try and figure it out. I’ve set up a pwsweather account just need to try this

This is completely amazing! So much easier than other complex methods thanks for doing this and maintaining wufyi!

2 Likes

Does the Gen 3 system actually allow for selecting of weather stations from Weather Underground? We just installed an Ambient Weather WS-8478 that isn’t showing on our Gen 2 system. We’d be willing to upgrade to a Gen 3 and sell our relatively new Gen 2 if so… unless there’s a better option.

@themayerfam

With Gen3 We give the user two distinct options now.

Interpolated weather data that you don’t have to worry about stations going down or not reporting precipitation which takes the burden off the homeowner of making sure they have an accurate reporting station. Interpolated data is great but won’t be exactly the measured amount that a PWS would give you near the house.

The ability to choose from over 250,000 WU PWS and National stations (Gen 1/2 has about 40,000 PWS stations). I’m also working on a WI plus feature that will self “heal” a chosen station, always making sure you are using one that is online, automatically choosing the next closest station. So yes, a native integration.

@Gene is also running a “bridge” to WU. http://wufyi.com/

Thanks for the insight. We just installed the Gen 2 last fall so I wasn’t looking to upgrade quite yet, although the confirmed ability to pull from Weather Underground on Gen 3 is quite enticing. However, I had set up the referenced bridge (Thanks, @Gene!) and am finding that to work quite well for now: https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KMIBRONS4.html. This should buy me some time before needing to upgrade.

1 Like

@franz can you explain why this isn’t available with gen 1/2 devices? Unless I’m wrong, everything you have described happens in the cloud, not on the actual devices. Please don’t pull an Apple move on us and force people to upgrade to get new functionality that works just fine on older devices.

1 Like

The product team is working on this and will provide more information when available.

:cheers:

1 Like

Thanks @franz

1 Like

@Gene how are you? Been a little while since we chatted.
My Wunderground PWS page (KSMOUNT85) hasn’t updated for >8 days. Meanwhile my Acurite page has been updating just fine. So I think there’s a problem between Acurite and Wunderground; or else between my smarthub and Wundergound? Acurite won’t respond to my emails; I just now wrote to Wunderground to see if they know anything.

Also, cronjob.com has reported sporadic failures, on my wufyi job, too. Maybe (again) this points to some kind of issue at Wunderground?

Just a shot in the dark, but thought maybe you have more logging available to diagnose, or maybe you’ve seen/heard something?

TIA.

Right now your data is being transferred via wunderground, so if that upload is down, so is the rest of the system. I’ll be more than happy to setup data to be aquired directly from AcuRite. Just PM or email (to setup@wufyi.com) me your AcuRite hub ID / MAC address and I’ll take care of the rest.

@franz. My PWS not showing within rachio after the update.

Thank you Franz, can you please provide an update. This is very important to me as i have an Acurite contributing to WU but can’t go to PWS without extraneous effort. I live 13 miles from closest NOAA weather center but near many WU stations. Just today i got <0.1 inches of rain whereas the NOAA got almost 4 inches due to scattered storms.

Knowing this cloud intelligence is in Gen3, means it should be no problem implementing in the cloud for Gen 2 and I really hope this has been considered to show you care about your existing userbase as @robnielsen alluded to.

I purchased and installed my Gen2 only about 2 to 3 months before the announcement of the Gen3, so of course my return policy was a moot point, so i definitely hope to see continued enhancements to previous generation controllers.

Thank you.

For now @Gene and his amazing tool is the best option.

:cheers:

2 Likes

Hey guys,

anyone having issues in the last week or so with this? My Cron-Jobs are failing constantly. I can’t figure out why. I’ve tried lowering the refresh rate from 5 minutes to 15 minutes but doesn’t seem to be helping.

I’ve sent you a PM.

1 Like

Thanks for the help Gene. All fixed guys!

2 Likes

Very Good Gene but I do not see wind Gust on the PWSweather…Any plans to fix that ???

@vmavrommatis Can you please post or PM (link) the station you are talking about, the one without gust data?