The sprinkle doesn't Stop

Hello! @Gene!

Attacho you have a picture with the 3 connectors.
1.- The first one, on the left, is the original one of the Rachio
2.- The second one, in the midle, is the first Power supply I bought that works but doesn’t stop
3.- An the last one, in the right i the one I bought this week you recomended me, that doesn’t work.

What do you think?

20200402_193946|690x326

Definitely close, right one may look just a little bigger, but definitely nothing obvious.

Can you connect your multimeter to the 24V + and - terminals on the rachio and see what reading you get with the new AC supply plugged into the Rachio vs the working DC supply?

Thank you.

Hello @Gene,
I’ve made the test you recommended me.
In the first picture with the power supply you recommended me that doesn’t work the V are 1 V.
The second picture with the one I bought at the beginning and power arrives but doesn’t stop, it gives 24 V.
What do you think I can do more?

Can you try wiggling the jack with AC supply connected to Rachio and multi meter connected to see if it can make a connection?

From the looks of it, the plug seems to be just a little too big to make a reliable connection.

Hi. I understand that you are referring to the AC supply connector which does not light up the blue light, right? I have moved the connector by hand, trying to tighten it more and the result is the same. However, this connector goes practically all the way down. The connector of the other transformer in the photo is the same and instead this one power reaches the Rachio. Can you think of anything else to try? :cry::cry:

By “wiggle” I refer to grabbing the connector and moving it side to side while observing the AC voltage reading out of the 24V terminals.

Another option you could try is to use the original rachio connector and hooking up the wires to the 24VAC supply, similar to how you’ve had your old hunter connected. This way 24VAC would come from the new AC supply and be delivered to Rachio via original connectors.

In case this works, simply replace the connector from the new 24VAC supply with the original rachio connector.

1 Like

Hi again,

I’ve tried to change the connector as you can see I’m the picture and nothing happens. No signal arrives to the Rachio. This is not normal. It has to be broken. I do not know what else to do :sob:

Did not mean to have you make such a permanent conversion, but it works :slight_smile:

Next step is to remove the front cover of your rachio by removing the screws on the back side and taking a picture of the board.

Don’t be discouraged. It may be an easy fix.

I’ve done that, and surprise! Something is burn!
What can I do now? I need Rachio changes my device :pensive:

Your MOV is blown. You can try reaching out to Rachio support to see if you can the controller replaced, but if you don’t use all of your 16 zones, you could use one of the MOVs from an unused zone to repair your controller. For example:

Highlighted is an MOV for the 16th zone, if you don’t plan to use that zone, you can move it in place of the blown MOV.

2 Likes

Thanks @Gene
Rachio don’t want to change my Device because I live in Spain and they say they don’t give support outside USA. So I have to buy another one or try to repair this.
I only use 10 zones … but I don’t understand what I have to do … Can you explin me with more details?
What is a MOV ? I dont’ find the spanish translation of this word

MOV is a type of surge protector:

You, or someone you know, would need to use a soldering iron to remove the damaged part, clean the area with alcohol and q-tips, than remove a working part, highlighted with a circle in a previous picture, from an unused zone and solder it on where the damaged part used to be.

1 Like

Thanks @Gene

I’ve contacted with a friend who uses and have a soldering iron. I’ve told him my problem and on monday he is going to do it for me.
Hope with that we can find a solution.

I’m very grateful with your help @Gene , you have really help me very much!!!

I’ll get in contact next week to tell you the news.
Have a good weekend !! (Although I don’t know if where you live you are confined. Here in Barcelona we have been almost 3 weeks without being able to leave home and at least we have 2 more to go out. I hope you are well over there)

1 Like

I’m in Florida, part of #1 county by confirmed cases :mask:

Stay safe, trying to do the same :upside_down_face:

Hi @Gene!
I’ve repaired the Rachio! :grinning::grinning::grinning:
Now it works perfectly, thanks a lot for your help!
The problem was the Varistor, that I’ve changed for a new one and a rectifier too was spoiled and been changed.
I was becoming crazy but finally with your help now it works!
Thanks again!

3 Likes

@Gene, saving the day again!

3 Likes

Hi @franz ,

Can you share the type/parameters of this varistor?
I am in Europe. I trie to fix a rachio3 like the above. Now there are two unused zones but later they would be used. This is why I would like to buy the varistor to replace the broken one (MV18).

Thanks for your help!

I’m sorry I don’t know that information. Maybe @Gene does?

:cheers:

1 Like