Strange noise from sprinkler pipes

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out with this. Since installing the Rachio I’ve noticed a weird sound happening almost every few minutes. It sounds like the sprinklers are either about to turn on or turn off and its coming from my sprinkler valve area. Of course the sprinklers do not actually turn on but I hear this noise all day and night every few minutes.

Any ideas on why this is happening or what I can do to make it stop?

Thanks,
Vendula

Hi @vsadreddin, thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you maybe have a ghost valve! :ghost:

Could you describe the sound you’re hearing? Is there anything else in the sprinkler valve area?

We can test to see if it’s sprinkler related by turning off the water to the system from the main line. If the noise continues, then it’s not the sprinklers. If it does stop, we can test a few other things.

Can you try this first step and report back?

Thanks, Emil

Thanks Emil.

The noise still occurs even after I turn the water off.

It’s hard to describe. Almost like a thud sound in that area under the house. Really reminds me of the sound the pipes make when sprinklers are about to turn on or off.

Strange that it began after the rachio install. Coincidence?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as its quite annoying. Especially in the evening when I’m trying to sleep and have to hear it (now that I’m conscious of it it’s become more obvious).

Regards!

Hi @vsadreddin, sorry for the slow reply.

Sounds like the issue is rooted somewhere else in your house. Are there any other utilities in the same area?

Have you seen an increase in your water bill?

Do you happen to have a sump pump?

I’m curious if you’d be able to record and share the sound by chance?

I hope we can find the source. I can only imagine how annoying it is.

Best, Emil

Hi again, @vsadreddin, I did some digging…

I initially wanted to reference the sound you were hearing to water hammer, but the more I think about it, you might just have air in your pipes.

Here’s a noisy pipe checklist:

• Noise when a valve closes = water hammer.
  • Noise unrelated to valve opening or closing = air in pipes or loose pipes moving around and striking objects.
  • Noise when a pump starts = water hammer and/or air in pipes.
  • Loud single thumps or multiple quick bumps, then no noise. This tends to be water hammer.
  • Vibrating and prolonged noises tend to be air in the pipes.
  • A continuous, uniformly spaced tap, tap, tap noise when water is running may be caused by an under-size water meter.
  • As hot water flows into a cold pipe, or cold water into a hot pipe, the pipe will expand or contract and make noises. This will create a clunking noise that goes away in a minute or two once the pipe fully changes temperature.

Here’s a detailed article on how to troubleshoot and determine the source of the sound and then suggests some remedies; starting with the easy fixes and then moving on to tougher ones.

Let me know if this helps :blush:

Best, Emil

Thanks so much for this advice Emil. I will have to explore this further.

@vsadreddin, happy to help. Please keep us posted on anything you find!