Slave wifi valve receiver/trigger, I have power!

I have four valves that wires can reach from Rachio 3. I have seven OTHER valves that have power near them (120v ac), but can not run wires from Rachio 3 to those valves (too much concrete). A remote, wifi connected, AC powered valve-command-repeater would be great. The Rachio would just have to make the valve commands available on the network in addition to the signal on the physical output terminals for energized valves.

1 Like

I am in a similar situation to the above, however have an original Rachio v1.

I am currently looking into a way to be able to complete the above using maker materials (arduino etc) but would rather purchase something off the shelf.

Additionally, I would like to see Rachio integrate a water tank feature or through API that would allow the controller to understand - there is a limited supply of water available to it.

Am sure there are a number of individuals such as us that would appreciate a slave unit that can trigger soleniods.

Did you find a solution for controlling you other valves? I have the same situation - two valves with no way to run wire to them. I too have power at these valve locations. Currently just running them with a dumb controller.

Nothing yet. Not hopeful.

So I have not installed my Rachio 3 yet or integrated it to Smartthings, so this is just thoughts on a concept: I was thinking I could have the Ranchio tell Smartthings that it wants to turn a valve on, use Smartthings to publish via MQTT (I have that part already running for other ST things). From there I use a Raspberry Pi Zero and 24v relay to subscribe and react to the status and activate the remote valves locally.

Again, that’s without unboxing, installing and understanding how Rachio and Smartthings interact. I can update as spring time comes around here.

That sounds good. A solution using a Pi is a good possibility. Keep us informed!

Good news. I have the Rachio 3 installed and integrated with Smartthings and a separate Raspberry Pi connected to a relay with Python code to handle the MQTT to relay effort. I am able to control the relay via Rachio app or Smartthings through MQTT. Next steps when it’s warmer is to hook up the relay to the valves and a 24 VAC power source. Should be good to go.

Wow, make it control 4 or more valves, package it up, and sell them.

Now that it is warmer and I need to get to watering I stopped bench testing and hooked it up. So far, so good. I ended up using a 4 channel relay, so there is room to add on if I need other valves.

I was able to convert the 24vac to 5v DC and run the entire setup off of one power supply.