Report of issue with Master valve

I keep getting this email to me:

Rachio detected a fault in zone master valve while running a schedule on your Chaac controller.

As a result, master valve will continue to run as scheduled, but no water will flow to the zone.

…I have a PSR on a 220 pump.currently no zones are hooked up, only the PSR to run a hose bib. I don’t run any schedules only manual quick run to get Rachio to start the 220 relay.

Hi @dirkg,

I do see the events in your history feed. Could you try disabling the Zone in-app before your next manual run?

In the meantime, you can disable the emails by going into your Account Settings >Notifications and disabling the Master Valve Fault toggle.

1 Like

Be happy to troubleshoot it with you, just not sure what you mean. So we are on the same page, I am currently installing the sprinkler system myself so It is taking some time. I have the Master Valve from the Rachio tied to my Pump Start Relay which is wired 220 to the pump. I have NO ZONES wired to the solenoids (yet). So…I have a hose bib with a traditional sprinkler plumbed off the pump. I “QUICK RUN” Zone 1 from the app to force the pump to start even though zone 1 is not wired.
Although this is temporary and probably not as tested scenario, I cant see why it would cause an error. Why exactly is the ZONE FAULT error being triggered. Is it that there is no resistance on Zone 1, or is there some voltage drop being monitored during the surge form the PSR?

OK…Have one zone completed and working. Master Valve connected to my 220v PSR and zone 1 connected to a Hunter PGV-101GS valve and three PGP rotors. Still getting a master valve error. Any suggestions?

Hey @dirkg, I’m inquiring with our Hardware team for further insight!

Appreciate your patience while we look into this.

1 Like

@dirkg, would you mind letting us know your PSR manufacturer and model?

SmartBox MPSR 27

MPSR 24…sorry.

Any info on this issue?

This is still an issue. Is there any thought on what the issue might be?

Bueller?

I would really like to get this resolved. Going to have to replace the Rachio at this point since it will not run a Pump Start Relay without erroring out every other time!

1 Like

@franz?

1 Like

Hey @dirkg - having the team review now. So sorry for the delay!

Hey @dirkg, I sincerely apologize again for the delay in response, I’ve been away from the office on leave. I was actually working in our DMs to address the issue and let you know we were actively still investigating your particular PR model. We believe the issue stems from your pump relay’s inrush current.

In the meantime, I would like to clarify and confirm that your current setup is not actually interfering with watering, but is generating “false” errors every time you trigger a run. I do see your system currently running along with several past history events indicating that it has actually watered.

I still see that you have notifications for the alerts still enabled and would like to refer to my original suggestion to disable the notifications:

This should at least silence the problem until we are able to confirm the root cause.

1 Like

@dirkg, do you happen to know if there’s any additional numbers for your PSR model number? I’d like to cross reference the tech specs for your PSR to better understand it’s power requirements. If you’re unsure, feel free to post a photo of the PSR. Additionally, do you know what size pump you’re running (in HP)?

This is the PSR:

I believe my pump is 1.25hp. I’ll verify when I get home.

Fair point, although i cannot really tell if it has an impact on watering. After the alert there have been times (not always) when I cannot get the system to respond. It may be some plaguing WiFi issues or related to the Master Valve error. I will be more diligent about noting the operation (normal or otherwise) after the next Valve Error.

1 Like

Thanks @dirkg! I would not assume that your experience with the app sometimes not responding is directly related to these error notifications. There could be many factors involved including your controller or device’s signal strength.

I’d definitely recommend ensuring you are on the latest version of the app via your device’s App Store. If you continue to experience unresponsiveness afterwards, it might be best to open a separate investigation with our Support Team!

1 Like

My guess is the Rachio Controller is overly sensetive to the induction current from coil. If I have time this weekend I will put in a diode and see if that eliminates the false readings.