Rain sensor activated issue

I am having the same issue Rain Sensor is ON.
I have send Help ticket to Rachio. They always saying about cleaning and online troubleshooting. I had done all things specified in Rachio website as well as from this community discussion. There was no change in the Rain Sensor status as ON. I have tried cleaning and relaying between devices in different days and time. There was no rain for weeks during this time to trigger a rain sensor all these days. Just starting from yesterday there was rain and will continue rain all these week for 15 to 20 miniutes here in San Antonio. It will be 80-90*F other time. Now there is one more thing to do is replacing the Irritrol Rain sensor which is a brand new one. My question is if this is an issue and currently a known issue then we can wait and continue forward. If not pleas help us what is the real issue. Thanks .

@tomskaria Would you mind posting a photo of your wiring?

How long has this rain sensor been connected?

1 Like

I have the exact same problem.
Got a new Hunter RainClick wired sensor connected to Gen2 controller.
S1 connected to red wire, SC connected to Black wire. It has been ON for days. It hasn’t been raining for a couple of days already, discs look totally dry

@eyali Is it a rain and and freeze sensor?

If it’s a freeze too, what are your temps? 37 degrees is the freeze setting.

Is the sensor in full sun?

Is your firmware up to date?

Same issue here, with Rachio 3. Even after I disconnected the rain sensor wires, Rachio reports Rain Sensor on and skips watering schedules. Very frustrated. I am using Hunter RainClik too.

Make sure you disable the rain sensor in the app under accessories.

:cheers:

Well, I have to - otherwise Rachio will never water. Bottom line is there is no way (for me at least) to add a rain sensor.

Hello,

My Rain sensors is remaining active. I have a simple wired rain sensor, connected to S1 & C1 on Rachio gen 2. I have tested continuity on the wires, & verified the switch is working correctly. I have removed the wires and installed a jumper between S1 & C1 - this represents a dry sensor. I see nothing in my history as I manually tested, installed jumpers, and removed wires. I only saw something in my history as I turned off the sensor in the app. Turning the sensor back on immediately triggers the sensor.

I think you have some broken code somewhere.

Same issue here. Rachio Gen 3 16 zones. Even if the wires are not connected, as soon as I enable a rain sensor terminal (S1 or S2), the app alerts that rain sensor is activated and schedules will be skipped. Very frustrating.

If I have read correctly, Why not just rely on the Rachio with built in communication with local weather station to provide rain totals and skip days. I completely removed my sensor when purchasing Gen#1 Rachio and just felt less to have to deal with ie: Rain Sensor that is.

Are you connecting the rain sensor to S1 & SC? That’s where I have my sensor connected and have no issues.

Gen 2 Wiring

1 Like

On mine, a Rachio 3, I have the rain sensor connected between the S1 and "- " terminals. Why do they label the 24 volts AC + and - ? anyway. Looks silly to me😃 By the way, mine works fine

I found that the recommended Rachio 3 wiring diagram for a Hunter Rain Clik worked for me…after I did the following:

1. Make sure you turn off the Master Valve setting if you are not using a Master Valve.

2. If you’re only using S1, make sure S2 isn’t clicked on as well.

This got my Rachio 3 12 zone working with my Hunter Rain Clik.

1 Like

I have been having the same problem this year. I finally found a solution - hook up my rain sensor on S2 and SC. This is the only way it will work now, which suggests I have a hardware failure in my Rachio 2nd Gen. :frowning:

Because some people use 3rd party sensors, such as wireless rain sensors, that require 24v.in thses cases you use the 24- and 24+.

Is there any new developments with this? My controller has started having the “rain sensor activated” issue. I’ve had a rain sensor connected and working for years. Now, it’s always activated, even after disconnecting it.

Turning on the rain sensor on either of the two accessories produces the message “rain sensor activated”. The rain sensor is not connected.

Life was so simple with a conventional mechanical controller.

Which rain sensor are you using?

Our Hunter Mini-Clik is “normally closed.” This means the switch is closed when the sensor is dry and goes open when activated. Thus, if I disconnect the sensor it will look to the controller as if it’s activated.

Looking at Controller Settings → Accessories → Sensor (Terminal 1), there appears to be no way to reverse the Rachio 3’s sensing logic, so I would assume your sensor work(ed) the same way.

Bridge the sensor connections in the controller with a short piece of wire and it should show the rain sensor deactivated.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. It’s been far too long since I added the sensor. It might be an Orbit 57069. I recall some sort of wick inside. I wonder if they have rotted and caused the sensor to open.

I’ll get the ladder out and have a look at the unit and also test the connections on the controller.

Thank you, again.