Rachio 3 - wiring question on “line” wire

Hello all — just bought a Rachio 3 and we’re working on the installation. I’ve got a question I’m hoping someone can help me with. The issue I have is that the old box setup has two wires connected to a “line” port, and I’m not sure how those should connect to the Rachio. I thought they might go into the common port on the Rachio, but I already have a common wire and that would leave me with three common wires and only two ports on the Rachio.

Anyway, I tried to search for it on here and elsewhere, but came up empty. I’ve attached the photo here, I’m hoping it’s a quick and obvious solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! —Jason

I do believe that is the power line for the old controller and should not be needed what-so-ever with your new Rachio. Where does the other end of that cable go? Make sure it’s unplugged before you disconnect so you don’t shock yourself.

5 Likes

Seeing line input right into a controller from 1960s made me cautious that your valves may require line voltage as well (instead of a safer 24VAC). Found a photo of cover plate here (link), good news, your old system used 24VAC to drive the solenoids. @wafflesngravy is right, simply disconnect the line wires from your old controller and find where they were hooked up. Be careful as these wires will likely be of a high voltage with plenty of amperes to hurt or cause damage (or possibly a fire), do not leave them simply disconnected.

Cheers,
Gene

3 Likes

1960s? Wow, gotta give a thumbsup to the craftsmanship of those times if that thing has been working all this time!

1 Like

Gene, Nice job finding that panel photo!

Jason, as Both Waffles and Gene pointed out that is standard house current 120 VAC Line voltage to the controller.

Just a clarification the Imperial Timer is I believe from the 1970’s

Actually doing some Beta testing, and if its operable and you want to pass it along, I would like to include it.

1 Like