Online error?

I have an error message that my device has been offline for more than 24 hours. However, my WiFi is connected to my Rachio (I use eero, and through the app I can see that the device has a connection to the internet), so is this a server side / cloud error or is there an issue that I cannot see?

Hi @chrisandeden-
Do you mind telling me what light pattern you see on your controller? We will get you back online ASAP!
McKynzee :rachio:

Bottom two lights in the stem are solid, third is flashing. Again, according to my eero (which I’ve used since November, and I’ve never had any issues with connections), the Rachio has a solid WiFi connection.

That most likely means that the controller is connecting to your Eeor (like it says) but it can’t get any messages to or from the router. This is usually caused by firewall issues. Have you made any changes to your firewall recently? If you made no changes, there could be a chance your Eero received a firmware update that adjusted your firewall settings. I will see if I can see a firmware release log for Eero and if something has been pushed recently…

Curious if you maybe just received 2.2.0, they mention it can take a few weeks to roll out?

The 2.2.0 firmware release was a couple weeks ago. My Rachio has run since then, and only ‘disconnected’ about 36 hours ago (according to the app log).
I did ‘pause’ the Rachio to disconnect it from the internet and try to force it to reconnect, but that didn’t seem to do anything.

When you say pause, what exactly do you mean? Did you unplug it and replug it in? My next troubleshooting step would be to do a wifi reset, and see if it is able to reconnect after that. Instructions for that can be found here: http://support.rachio.com/article/490-wifi-reset. Let me know the light code you see after trying that!

I performed the WiFi reset, and got the check mark on completion. However, my device is still stuck with two solid, one flashing LED.
Still shows offline in the app as well.

Hey @chrisandeden-
After doing some digging in your logs it seems like something knocked your controller offline when it attempted to receive a routine firmware update. This left you controller in a strange state which is what is causing your reconnection issues.
The next step I have for you is to factory reset your controller (instructions here: http://support.rachio.com/article/471-factory-reset.) After doing that, you should be at 4th light blinking. Once you are in that state, please let me know, and I can complete the connection for you. Let me know if you have any questions about that!
McKynzee :rachio:

Sorry that was unclear- do not delete the device from your account in the app, just do the factory reset on the physical buttons on your controller! Then, try the wifi update from the app to try to reconnect the controller. That should bring you to fourht light blinking :slight_smile:

I did the factory reset, then reconnected the WiFi. Device is still stuck on third light blinking.

@chrisandeden, I’m going to open a support ticket for you and send you a link to schedule a call with one of our WiFi experts. They’ll walk you though the steps needed to get the controller back online. Keep an eye out for an email from Rachio Support.

2 Likes

The WiFi call fixed my issue. I’m back online, and scheduled to run tomorrow.

2 Likes

It would be helpful if we had some information on what the exact problem was.

As @mckynzee noted above, my controller got locked up when attempting to download a firmware update. The error wouldn’t allow the Rachio to connect to the cloud. With my home WiFi on an eero system, it was difficult to get the controller to fall off the router, and force a reconnection. But by unplugging the main eero, and forcing all devices (35+ with all my IOT devices) had to reauthorize with the eero, and get back online.
I will say that the WiFi team had some trouble working around my eero, and with the popularity of mesh systems, they are going to have to get fixes set up for these home setups.

2 Likes

Just as as FYI, I also use an eero system with a Gen2 Rachio controller.

My Rachio dropped offline a few weeks ago in a similar fashion. Was ‘connected’ when looking in the eero app, just not online from the Rachio’s perspective. I assigned a static IP address to the Rachio after a hard reset of the device and the issue was resolved.

You can configure the static IP via the eero app by device if this comes up again for you.

The ‘joys’ of modern toys. Cheers!

2 Likes

Unfortunately for me, both the WiFi reset, and the factory reset both failed to fix my issue. I did have to actually disconnect my eero system to force all my devices to re-auth and reconnect to the internet. That’s what fixed my issue.
I did set a reservation for my Rachio, I had already been thinking about giving all my IOT devices reservations, but this is the first time I’ve had an issue with any of my smart home devices since I moved to the eero.

Glad you were able to get it resolved.

I have found, generally speaking, those IOT devices that only work on 2.4GHz, not 5GHz cause the most issues. For those, I have assigned static IP addresses and have had no further issues. Worth exploring if you have more then one such network restricted IOT device.

2 Likes