OnHub Router Connection

I just did to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting. I am using a Nexus 6 running Android 6.0.1. I am going to try with my wife’s phone for good measure…and ASUS ZenPhone 2.

Do you have an iPhone by any chance?

I’d like to get you in touch with our tier 2 support if that doesn’t work. We usually ask for a lot more information regarding network, the errors you are seeing, light patterns, etc. and can troubleshoot much quicker than making a lot of guesses as to what is happening :wink:

:cheers:

I have been working with Emil to troubleshoot. Our latest course of action is to replace the controller to isolate a hardware condition. More to come.

Thanks for the update, our motto is No controller left behind, I’m sure we will get you connected :wink:

@emil is our wizard.

So, it turns out that the controller was bad. Rachio sent a replacement Gen2 unit and it’s working as expected.

Here are the steps I took to get it connected to my ASUS OnHub on the first try.

1. Installed controller on the wall (didn’t connect wires to the valves, just plugged it into the power).
  2. Performed a factory reset.
  3. Changed my Android device to only connect to 2.4GHz Wifi (required enable/disable of Wifi to apply to my home router connection)
  4. Configured the device using the Rachio app.

Thank you guys so much for your help.

This post is proof that the Rachio Gen2 works with the ASUS version of the Google OnHub dual band router.

Thanks for the detailed information and glad you are up and running. We will make sure to review the other controller to determine what the root issue was.

This is still an issue and I think it’s a bug in the Android app.

The latest update for Nexus devices (7.0 Nougat) doesn’t support forcing wifi into 2.4 Ghz-only mode, making it impossible to set up with a Gen 2 device on an Onhub network using the Nexus 5X, 6P, etc… When I select my dual band SSID, the app immediately pops up a dialog stating that 5 Ghz networks aren’t supported (and then frustratingly doesn’t offer a way to close said dialog). I dug an iPhone 5S out of storage and, while connected to my Onhub’s 5Ghz band, it was able to set things up no problem.

The Android app, for some reason, only acknowledges the 5 Ghz band, even though Wifi analyzer apps and a sample Android app I wrote run on the same device see both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands for my network when querying the Android platform.

This sounds like a small issue but it pretty much ruins the out of box experience for anyone with the above configuration (and likely other phones soon to be released with Nougat). Hopefully there’s an easy fix isolated to the Android app.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m debugging this at the moment.

[quote]
When I select my dual band SSID, the app immediately pops up a dialog stating that 5 Ghz networks aren’t supported (and then frustratingly doesn’t offer a way to close said dialog).[/quote]

There should have been a continue button at the bottom of the dialog. Was that missing on your devices?

At the moment after we get the first result for a network we ignore any new ones. So if the 5GHz result comes first we mark the network as being potentially 5GHz only and present the dialog if that network gets selected. I’m going to add some code to merge a subsequent result that’s in the 2.4GHz band so that the dialog is less likely to show for dual band networks.

3 Likes

I don’t see any buttons on dialogs. See the attached for examples. I guessed there were supposed to be buttons and a theming issue was preventing showing them, but I couldn’t find any area below that would react to touch. Back didn’t do anything so I usually had to force close the app.

Interesting! I suspect it’s going to be a problem throughout the app on Android 7. I’ll try to get this fixed for the next release.

1 Like

Issue is fixed now.
The buttons are present but the button text was getting the white text color from the main theme so were becoming invisible.
A small tweak to not show the dialog if the network is detected as dual band has also been added.
I think there should be a new release going out in the next few days.
Thanks for reporting this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fantastic. Thank you for the quick fix. Will keep an eye out for an update.

1 Like

Definitely an issue with the Android app. Our installer was able to connect fine using the iOS app. Looking forward to the update!

I think the Gen 3 model should include support for 5 GHz WiFi.

Best regards,

Bill

1 Like

Was able to resolve by Rachio gen 2 wifi connection issues due to this thread, there is definitely an issue on the Rachio app on Android OS, tried having the wifi updated via the Google rachio app, showed different errors: device is part of the network , does not recognize 5 ghz wifi’s, however when I tried connecting via iPhone the wifi was able to connect without issues. Are there updates on the app to address this issue?

Hi All!

I just bought a TP link Onhub and was having all the same issues that were on this thread (I have an android Pixel Phone).

How I fixed it (workaround works only if you have your old router or access to a 2.4ghz router) is to set up the old 2.4ghz with the EXACT same Wireless Network name and password as the Onhub (Make sure Onhub is off).

Set up your Rachio as normal with old router, verify connected, turn off old router, turn on Onhub and boom should connect with no problem.

Hope this helps. I know there are other workarounds (have router over 50 ft away to disengage 5ghz, but not viable in my situation).

Thanks all!

3 Likes

@RaycerX

Thanks for sharing! I’ll let the support team know about this solution.

Hello, I’m currently experiencing these same issues. I have a Nexus 6p and am enrolled in the beta program running Android 7.1.1. I just recently bought the tp link Google on hub router only to be disappointed the Rachio controller was the only smart home device that won’t hook up. Has there been any new effort to fix this? It is not an option for me to buy a stand alone router just to have a 2.4 GHz signal. Especially when the new on hub router can do both.