New seed

I’d love to see the option for newly seeded lawn for an individual zone. Obviously you want to keep New seed moist but not soaked to the point of run off. Right now I have to do manual runs for short spans in the zones where I have new seed

1 Like

@Sean13 We currently have an hourly interval option under Fixed Schedule -> Hourly Interval. It provides you the option to water every hour, 2 hours, 4 hours and 6 hours.

By moving your seed zones into this schedule, you can provide consistent moisture for those seedlings.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

I’ve been going through this as well, and although there are 2/4/6 interval hours, it’d make the schedule run at times when water doesn’t need to be applied (at night). A much better schedule would be every 2/4/6 hours during daylight hours. I couldn’t figure out a way to set this up in the app…

5 Likes

Hey @tburch!

I agree this would be a cool feature add, we currently do not support this functionality. I will let the team know! Thank you for the recommendation.

McKynzee :rachio:

3 Likes

I’ve gone through this process too, and really, this is what computers are made for!

I recently installed some Palmetto St. Augustine, and needed to water 3 of the zones a lot more than usual, and back it off gradually over the next 6 or so weeks. It would be ideal if I could just mark those zones in my Flexible schedule, and it would automatically add the additional watering times, and gradually bring it back to normal within the ideal time frame. I shouldn’t have to mess with manual schedules for this!

Sounds like a fairly awesome low-hanging feature to pick up, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

This is a feature we’ve talked about a lot :wink: We even have a really cool name for it. Someday would like to get this incorporated into the product.

:cheers:

1 Like

Is there any news regarding this feature? I recently seeded my soil, and don’t want to water at night, because of the cool temperatures.
Thanks

I can’t imagine it’s hard to setup a smart seed schedule based on recommendations for your area and time of year. This is just slacking development on the part of Rachio. These stupid manual schedules for new seed are dumber than dumb. My sprinkler is going off every two hours all night long and I’m waking up to my yard drenched the next day. Come on Rachio step it up.

1 Like

@franz Ping! Any updates on this?

Agree. Surprised by the limitations of this “app”. It’s basically a timer that I can control from my phone. This can be better. It should be pretty easy to create start and end times and set intervals between…and then schedule it. Start with that pretty minor improvement and move forward.

I do my overseeding by setting up 3 fixed schedules, each with just one or two minutes per zone (depending on the kind of heads). I do one in the morning, one around noon, and one in the late afternoon. I put in start and end dates, having all three run for one week, just two the next week, and then just one the last week. A little more work to set up the first time, but I liked this method because I could set it and forget it.

3 Likes

The only way I could figure out how to water every 2 hours from 8 AM to 4 PM for 4 minutes for the next 13 days was to create 5 separate schedules. I’m surprised and disappointed the app can’t handle this.

1 Like

PING!
I too have just run into this. Only had my R3 for a couple days, but am a bit frustrated having had to setup 4 schedules for each day for my yearly fescue overseeding. The first is set to finish before sunrise, then 3 more programs each for 4 hours after the previous.
IMO, I think the best solution (but do appreciate the programming that would be involved here) is to have an option to water x number of times between specified start and end times, with the R3 calculating the specific times for each watering within that range. Ideally it would be something like:
Start: end before sunrise
End: end at sunset
Or even specifying specific start and end times, although the sunrise/sunset options would be really sweet!!!

Improving the use of sunset and sunrise on schedules (not just one for the controller) would be a big win for many applications of the controller, similar to my smart lights and switches where I can set an offset (+ / - 120 min from each, which changes every day of the year by a few minutes).

The write up on my post here might help on seeding.

I don’t see a solution in this thread to having an interval schedule with a specific start and end time.

Quite simply, I want to water my lawn every hour for a few minutes during daylight.
Then water my lawn every 4 hours during the evening.

Creating two schedules would be the intuitive way to do this, but in your “New Seeing Instructions” you have a Step 5 which says “Decide what time and day your schedule will being (and end, if you like)…” HOW DO YOU SET BOTH A START TIME AND END TIME? If I say “End before sunrise” --> Then when does it start??? If I say “Start after Sunset” --> Then when does it end??? I have radio buttons for these and “End before a specific time” and “Start at a specific time”, but I want to choose a start time and an end time. Bonus if the start and end times can be based on Sunrise/Sunset, but I care less about that than just having a fixed window of time. I really can’t believe that this isn’t possible, so please advise…

1 Like

Hoping someday comes this year! Still waiting to see this implemented. Either a daylight hours or an end time would greatly improve the ability to water newly seeded areas.

Same problem here. Would love to see start time and stop time on daily or hourly intervals. You can do one or the other but not both. I’m not sure what it even does because it still runs all day and night unless you only run once or twice a day. It is just simple programming Rachio.

Is there any update on adding daylight hours or an end time to the controller?

This is still not supported. @mckynzee This would be great to have implemented :wink:

:cheers: