Length of power supply cord

Hi,

First post. Just ordered the 16-zone version of the Rachio IRO. I’m switching from another ‘connected’ irrigation controller than I’m not satisfied with. I have a question about the IRO power adapter. How long is the power cord?

My current irrigation controller is about 15 feet away from the nearest electrical outlet. This is in my garage. As such, I need a power supply with a long cable. Will the Rachio power adapter reach this far? If not, what do you recommend?

Here are some options I was thinking of:

1. Re-use existing transformer (Hunter 526500, 24VAC, 1000ma rating), since the existing power-supply cord is long enough. Is this transformer compatible with Iro? Here are the full specs here: http://www.evergreensprinklers.com/hunter-526500-replacement_part-for_pc-300i-transformer.html

2. Lengthen cord on Rachio power adapter by splicing in wire (this way I use the Rachio supplied tranfromer & plug).

3. Run extension cord from existing outlet so I can plug in power-adapter closer to controller. (I don’t like this because it looks ugliest)

4. Purchase another power adapter with a longer cord (do you sell such a thing, or recommend a 3rd party one)? I’m thinking I would just do #2 option over this option, though.

5. Other?

Let me know what you think! I’m guessing I’m not the only one in this predicament. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

@ramblinwreck Welcome as a new customer!

Our power cord is 6ft long.

The hunter transformer would work, but the other end of the cord wouldn’t work unless fitted with a 2.1mm/2.5mm female connector, but you will have to solder it on.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv14=127&FV=fff40016%2Cfff80518%2C740002&k=2.1mm+connector&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Or just extend our power cable with either of the below.

6ft. extension cable
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CA-2212/CP-2212-ND/1129475

10ft. extension cable
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv77=246&FV=fff40018%2Cfff80342&k=2.5mm+connector&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Thanks!

Thanks @franz!

Just one follow-up, can you confirm the specs on the connector, please?

You mention 2.1mm/2.5mm female connector, but of the products you listed:

• specs on the plug are 2.1mm ID, 5.5mm OD
  • specs on the plugs on the two extension cables is 2.5mm ID, 5.5mm OD

Are you saying either (2.1mm or 2.5mm ID) will work?

Reason for asking is that I can probably pick these up at my local electronics supply store. Also, I’m going to try to find a right-angle plug to help the IRO fit in my existing cabinet.

Thanks!
ramblinwreck

@ramblinwreck

That was a typo, meant 2.1mm/5.5mm female connector. Sorry :wink:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Perfect, thanks!

Hi Franz,

I need to extend the power cord to 25 ft.
Can I use the extension below?

Do we have any issue with power drain with such a long extension?

I don’t believe that will be an issue.

:cheers:

Hi Franz,

Thanks.

I just want to make sure that this extension cable is for DC 3volt to 24volt, Max load 3amp or less.
Can I still use it for 24VAC - 1.3Amp?

And, I also want to make sure that the connector for this extension cable should be compatible with 8 zones controller (8ZULW).

Pulling in our hardware guru @alcornb. Thoughts on this @alcornb?

The connector looks right to me. 25ft @ 20AWG looks like it will only amount to a 0.5V drop over the run, which should be fine. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Thanks. I will order that cable.

Has anyone experienced success with using any of these extension cables? I may want to clean up my setup during the irrigation off-season. Considering adding a 10ft extension to the current 6ft power cord.

Considering this Hanvex 12 ft, 20AWG, 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC Plug Extension Cable on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Hanvex-2-1mm-5-5mm-Extension-Adapter/dp/B00FTFYH0U/
Thoughts?

I think @emil might know something about this, I could swear I saw this question on the forums before…

No worries the Hanvex 12ft Extension Cable worked perfectly!

1 Like

@johnesc, thanks for confirming. After some digging, looks like we recommended an extension cable by the same company (Hanvex), just a different length. Hope you’re enjoying your Iro :smile:

Thanks @emil My Iro is properly dialed-in now while using the Flex schedule. While I didn’t see water conservation. as compared to last year’s water usage… This season ended with my lawn looking fantastic in comparison to previous years most likely due to not watering my lawn enough. Can’t wait to see what Iro has in store for next season… Hoping for integration with SmartThings!

@johnesc, glad to hear your lawn is looking fabulous! We’d love to see some photos if you’d like to share any. Out of curiosity, were you watering based on durations your neighbors or landscaper recommended before?

SmartThings is still on our radar. Thanks for your patience with this integration.

1 Like

I realize this thread is old, but can I get a confirmation that the generation 2 power supply uses the same power connector? My understanding is that is a 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plug and it is 24V.

Yes, it is identical :wink: