Lawn with Flex Schedule wanting to water daily

I’m still looking at your soil, that stuff blow though,

@kjkruse, hit the more detail button and send that screenshot. Forward to the next week and do the same.

Can you post a screen shot of the right most column after you select more detail?

Also, the soil in that area seems all over the place…do you know it to be sandy loam as opposed to loam?

@kjkruse. Along with sending the details from the plots, is there any chance you had the Front Yard Zone disabled from the 28th through the 30th? It’s odd to see the moisture flat lined at 50% for the days. If it was disabled for a few days my guess is that the system is playing catch up for a couple of days then will become more regular.

So I,don’t want you to give out your addy over the forum but if you go here, type in your address, the select the soil map tab, you will see your soil types.

http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/WebSoilSurvey.aspx
Select a soil type and scroll down until you see “available water capacity”, it should be show in inches.mmtake that and divide it by the "depth to restrictive feature. That is what your available water should be set to.

But I’m showin you should be .15-.1, not .07

yes had front zone disabled the past few days

Well, I don’t know your exact spot, but picking some samples at random, I think your available water should be .11 and your root depth should be 7

Then you can open your flex schedule and see the new times.

I’m also suspecting that your pr is set to high, have you ever done a catch cup test?

Here is my soil. Looks like its loamy sand for 0-17 inches

City came out last year and did a catch cup test, I’ll see if I can find the results.
I’m calling it a night, I appreciate all the help!

Your available water is .13

Hi,

I may be late to the party, but there is another way to do what you want. I note that your plan last year (noted in post 6/31) was a sound plan. The Flex program that wants to water more often than every 3 days is confused about something buried in the algorithms. I have disabled my flex schedule for the same reason. I watch it and wonder why it recommends water so often, but do not let it run my sprinklers.

Back to the plan. Your summer from 2015 plan is sound. I suggest this work around. install a 2nd schedule for the front lawn 10 minutes and backyard for 4 minutes. Now disable that program, as you have the flex schedule. If you notice the weather is hot or otherwise either lawn needs additional water, turn back on this supplemental schedule. Adding 10 minutes on the watering day adds 33% to your front lawn. Adding 4 minutes on the back lawn adds 33%.

There is a more scientific way to do this, using Et from your zip code. If you want to play with that send me an email....Scottm@wateraware.net.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems to be doing much better!

1 Like

@kjkruse Great to hear !!

1 Like